Wednesday, November 4, 2015

MY OLD STRIPED ROBE





In a way, house robes were not conceived 
    primarily for men...
Only the fairer sex can do them justice.

They seem to be  just the thing for women---
    with their striking, flattering colors...
Blue robes, pink robes, red ones!
    Turquoise,  yellow, green!

Fluffy ones, silky ones, good old chenille!

Yes, a woman wears them well, and makes
    'em look amazing!

Now a guy, in the nature of things
    may just sit around, early or late,
in Levis and a T-shirt, or
     cargo pants and a Henley.

If it gets cold, he may throw on his old
    red-and-black plaid Alaska flannel shirt---
the one that's soft and warm and faded---
    with a hole in the right elbow.

Ah, but that freezing-February of 2012---
    That awful time...when a terrible cold
laid me low for days...seemed like forever...
   Well, not being a robe guy---I didn't
have one...

And I needed all the tender loving care...
    and. warmth and caressing 
a big old soft fuzzy robe would bring!

My beloved wife felt real bad for me...

She came out dressed spiffy, her purse 
    over her shoulder and said:
"I'm headed done to see Walter at the
   BIG-and-TALL Men's Store. I'll be back."

She was gone...just like that.

Off she went, 'bout five miles down...
    on Menaul, a nice friendly store.
The boys knew her there.

"What in the world is SHE UP TO?" I thought.

Why she went in there (I found out) and said:
    "Give me the softest, thickest, warmest
robe in the house in 3XT---It's for my man---"
    "He's sick!"

They looked. "Ma'am, we've got only one in 
     that size---a BLACK STRIPED ONE."
"Wrap it up, I'll take it."

And she came in the door, and up to me,
     smiling, and proud of herself, 
handed me a big box...and said:"Git this on!"

It was the softest, warmest robe one could 
    ever imagine!

A marvelous, ugly (?) robe. And it is already
    in use, this year, now that it's cold these 
mornings.

It has become a BEST FRIEND
    just like HER.

(I catch her wearin' it, sometimes.)
************************
BY MIL
October 16, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment