Friday, May 9, 2014

THE LAMENT OF THE OLD FISHERMAN




THINKING BACK OVER LIFE....
      AND FISHING....
********************************

Sitting here by the old pond
    this beautiful spring day,
I'm thinking back over life
    and all the fishing I have done---
and my hook is in the water!

The Lord knew in his vast wisdom
    when He planned all creation
that man would need time and spaces
    to rest his soul...and think,
escaping from the burning of the
    noontide heat
and the burdens of the day.

Now, at my age...
    The trails are getting longer
around the ponds,
    The rods seem to be heavier
and harder to cast,
    The eyes on those small hooks
seem to be getting smaller;
     The worms are wigglier and 
harder to put on the lines,
     Tying my beautiful flies, I am
sometimes all thumbs!
    Yet the "Rio Grande King" is as
beautiful as ever--- and my heart
     still jumps to see it.

My Levi's have holes in the knees now,
    (Guess I finally got in style!)
The sole of my right fishing boot
    flaps a bit;
Sometimes I get tired of
    peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!

But, ahhh....can't complain---
    The sky is blue and the sun
           is shining...
       The air is pure and fresh
            The little birds are singing
                The hawks are soaring
                    on unseen air currents,
                       keeping watch...

There is an old turtle over there by the bank
    creeping along...
and in no hurry...
    (We can learn from him.)

The big white thunderheads are boiling up
    out toward Melrose...
As I study them, I seem to see
    far over them...and into forever....
Where an old fisherman can fish endlessly,
    and throw them back...
There will be plenty of trout and they
    will always be biting
in the eternal morning.

After all, our earthly ponds are just a small 
    sample of Heaven, aren't they?

Bob Snipes and Richard Drake

*****30*****

     Mil
5/09/14

(MIL's Note: When I got Bob's letter today,
saying: "The trails are getting longer around
the ponds...the rods seem to be heavier..."
I was hooked!)


No comments:

Post a Comment