Saturday, May 10, 2014

MY FIRST BREAKFAST STEAK



WHO HAD EVER HEARD OF...
   A BREAKFAST STEAK?
*********************************

The year was circa 1963. I was in a revival
with Dr. John Parrott at FBC, Silver City, N.M.
At the time, I was director of Church Music
for the Baptist Convention of New Mexico,
and Dr. Parrott was pastor at FBC, Roswell,
N.M.

I had already worked with Dr. Parrott
in a cowboy camp meeting at Elk, N.M. and in a
revival at Socorro. (Three more were to follow,
making a total of six, and he was pastor at a music
camp.)

Over the years, in sixty-three revivals, I worked
with many fine preachers. John Parrott was one
of my favorites. He was brilliant, succinct, had a
good delivery, and was a deeply spiritual man.

An interesting experience occurred there at the
Silver City revival. Revivals can vary in their
schedules, etc. but they almost all had morning
services. Many folks do not realize the wear and
tear they present to the revival team, who are
"performing" in a sense twice a day.

At this revival, the morning service was at eight a.m.
so some working people could come. That was
pretty early to get the old singing and preaching
voices unlimbered, so to speak.
Early in the week, maybe on Monday morning,
John said he was going to preach his "When
The Wall Crumbles" sermon, about the upsets
and vicissitudes of life. I had heard it before---
a good sermon!

So I selected for a solo:
"When the storms of life are raging,
Stand by me...
When the world is tossing me
Like a ship upon the sea...
Thou who rulest wind and water
Stand by me."

After the early morning services, we were
starved and hurting for that first cup of coffee,
(unless we were able to grab one cup some-
where along the way.)

A fine older widower had asked for the
job of taking John and me every morning to
this little nice little cafe on Main Street for
breakfast, at his expense. I can't recall his
name. He was a fine, gentle Christian man.

We three sat at a table, and the waitress brought the
menus. I saw the "two eggs, bacon, ham, or
sausage," at $1.65 per plate. According to my
spending habits back in those days, that seemed
plenty to spend.

Our host said: "Now you guys, get anything you
want on the menu." John studied it a moment
and asked: "Anything, you mean it?" "Yes,"
said our host.

In a few moments John said (and surprised me):
"I think I'll have the steak and eggs!" (It was about
$3.95 as I recall. Remember, this was 50 years
ago.)

I said something like: "Well, John, I hate to admit it
but I have NEVER had steak and eggs for breakfast.
I think I might try it. Make mine the same."

John said: "Not a Sunday morning goes by, that I
don't eat steak and eggs when getting ready to
preach at my Roswell church. I need the strength."

Well, my reader, I can't remember for sure, but
I think we had steak and eggs several mornings
that week. An interesting experience...

Food wasn't our main purpose there however.

It was our job to tell of the matchless love of
Jesus Christ in sermon and in song...hoping
someone in our audience would pray:
"Yes...forgive me Jesus, and let it be recorded
in heaven and earth."

(Dr.John Parrott went on to become a seminary
professor.)



*******30*******
BY MIL
5/06/14






No comments:

Post a Comment