Wednesday, October 10, 2012

MIL'S GIFT TO THE WORLD - A "GRITTATA!"


***********************
OFF THE WALL
***********************

It'd be fittin' for you to read this one at breakfast! Here's how it went down...with some
brief introductory remarks.

You see, for an old timer, may I modestly say that I am a fair-to- middlin' cook. My chili and cornbread are awesome (to me, anyway)! I can put out a pretty good roast beef dinner, with gravy, and all the trimmings, veggies, and stuff. It will rival almost anyone's.

No, I didn't learn it in high school Home Ec. I didn't cook at all then, and matter of fact, no self-respecting young lad in my hometown--even if he had been interested in learning to cook---would have dared enroll in Home Ec. No, not in good old CHS! It just wasn't a “boys-in-Home Ec”-type-town.

I learned to cook (?) from my wife, the Cooking Channel, Bobby Flay, Emeril, Paula Deen, and got my chili recipe from a friend at the State Fair! (Don't ever mention me to those three great cooks above.)

Now to the "GRITTATA."

I was late today getting to breakfast, due to my heavy writing schedule. Looking in the fridge I found a heaping cupful of yesterday's grits. They were kind of solid, as you might imagine. So I decided to have a couple of fried eggs---with the grits, and that one left-over Red Lobster biscuit the wife made yesterday. Then I thought...no, I'll just have an omelet!

Then a light came on in my head: I'll just put two eggs in a bowl, dump ("add" as recipes say) the grits in there, mash it all up good, beat it with my big spoon, and add some cheese, and I'll have a "grommet." No, it'll be a "gritomelet"---or a....hmmm..."GRITTATA!" Grittata? Wo! Was I breaking new culinary ground or what?!

The wife, having already eaten, came by to check on me. "You know, what you're doing there looks interesting, kinda good---in fact make me a little sample, I want to try it!"

May I digress here to say, that a married man knows at least two things in this situation,  (even if he has misplaced his "Wife Manual.") (1) Translated: "Make me a sample," here, means "I'll take half of it." (2) And, the Basic Rule of Life"= "A happy wife means a happy husband means a happy world!"

Accordingly, I dumped a third egg into my ad lib recipe, expanding it, added more cheese, cooked it in a skillet with a lid, I then chopped a whole garden ripe tomato from our vines, and sprinkled half of that over her half of my new recipe, and served it to her!

After a few bites, she said: "Wow, this is okay, we'll (we'll?) have to do it again. Next time we'll put more eggs, grits, cheese, and add some Jimmy Dean's sausage, all chopped up, and some green chiles! We'll use a big casserole dish and cook it in the oven!"

There you go! I didn't even have time to register my new discovery with the U.S. Pat Pending Office, and get it, ER..."cook-righted!" And it was gone---appropriated---Mil's gift to the world--- a "GRITTATA!"

*******30*******
BY MIL
10/08/12




Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment