Monday, October 1, 2012

"ALWAYS PLAY YOUR CARDS CLOSE TO THE VEST"




************************************************************
NOT POKER; WE'RE TALKING ABOUT...LIFE!
************************************************************

This advice was once given to me, over coffee one morning in a restaurant, by a very wise, suave, knowledgeable, astute, and respected friend. He wasn't referring to poker. I can't play poker anyway. He was referring to LIFE.

I wish I could say that I've followed that wise advice, all the way, every day, one hundred percent. My percentage, I fear, is lower. You see, whether it's right or wrong, good or bad, I have always been the friendly, open, trusting sort of guy. A blabber! If I were ever arrested, I would be a dead duck---telling all---on the way to the mirror room.

If you stop and think about it, aren't you impressed with quiet, staid, laconic, taciturn people---wise-looking people who just sit back and listen? Self-assured, semi-pompous folks...who will occasionally deign to let a few golden words of wisdom fall from their lips. Wouldn't we all like to be like that? Look at the listeners---their mouths are agape!

I can tell you now that my "vest friend" would not be welcome at a FACEBOOK convention. Most of these dear folks live their lives every day...and every hour..."telling their guts," as my mother used to say. They "let it all hang out," as the saying goes. They live their daily lives in public. No problem, if that's what they like. It is a trend. "De gustibus non est disputandum"---- "Every man to his own tastes."

As for me, I'm still trying to follow that excellent advice, received fifty years ago.

What did you ask?? Hey, I don't know---my lips are sealed.! Don't ask me nuthin'! I'm not tellin'. My cards are CLOSE!

********30********
BY MIL
10/01/12



Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment