Monday, October 22, 2012

"LOVE ONE ANOTHER"



**********************************
AND OTHER BOYHOOD TALES
**********************************

BY ALBIN COVINGTON,
CHS ClASS OF '51

At dear old CHS we could take shop. The first part of the morning we were in the mechanical drawing room just behind Mr. Marshall's office. The rest of the morning we went across the street to the shop. It seemed one boy, Roscoe---and I, had a little disagreement.

When we started across rhe street, he called me out. We started swinging at each other; neither of us really connected. The main reason was that Mr. Burton came by and put a stop to it and detained us until Mr. Foster came out of the classroom. Mr.Foster took us into a back room in the shop and I was sure we were in real trouble.

Mr.Foster talked to us for a few moments. The gist of what he said was this: "You boys have heard me say that if you have differences, then settle them. But I also said---GET OFF THE SCHOOL GROUNDS to settle them."

So at noon we did. We went over to McCalvie's backyard, which was well off the school grounds. I learned that you may win a fight, but that doesn't often make you friends. But Roscoe and I did become friends later.

*************************************
MORE MEMORIES FROM ALBIN...
*************************************

I really enjoyed your last article. It took me back to some of the things we did years ago. I was born in San Angelo, Texas, and I began to remember things when I was about 3 or 4. Dad worked on the railroad and we moved all over the West Texas area, even down into the Big Bend country.

  We wound up at a place called Mertzon,Texas. That's where I started to school. (See Mil'S  PLACE: "I REMEMBER MERTZON!") They had only eleven grades at that time.

I was one of those kids that could walk through the sunshine and turn two shades darker. Since I also played outside  all time, I got even darker, so they selected me to play "Little Black Sambo" in the school play and I didn't even need any makeup.

Mom ran a cafe across the street from the school, called the SQUEEZE INN...and that was the  only way you could get service: squeeze in!

Dad would make us rubber guns out of old pieces of scrap lumber and we would tape a clothespin on the handle of the pistol, and cut old tire tubes into strips. Then we would place the tire rube strip over the front of the rubber gun, stretch it back and hook it into the clothespin on the handle. When you mashed on the clothespin, it released the tube strip and it would fly a long way. When you got hit with one of these strips, man it hurt!

Dad also carved us wooden airplanes, attached a propeller to the front by boring a hole in the front of it, and through the prop and putting a nail through the prop into the wood. With five boys and one girl, "Little Sis" watching, we boys  held our planes out the window of our old Buick, and sped down the street, all five planes with propellers spinning furiously! What a sight it must have been!

We played "Kick the Can," Red Rover, Hide 'n Seek, Cowboys and Indians, and ran all over the place! We went swimming in the creek that ran  through Mertzon. We didn't wear shoes except on Sunday.

I was out of school and chosen to play in the NORTH/SOUTH ALLSTAR game in Albuquerque before I ever saw a television set.

Yes sir, you brought back a lot of memories.
**************************************
SOME MEMORIES OF CLOVIS DAYS
**************************************
And yes, I do remember Alexander's Market on Seventh, over there by La Casita. When we first moved to Clovis, we lived at 1121 Thornton, close to Art Snipes' house. Then we moved to 113 Sheldon and for a couple of years I went to Eugene Field school.

Then we moved to 721 Edwards and I was back in La Casita school. We were only a couple of blocks from Alexander's.



*******30******
FOR MIL'S PlACE
BY Dr. Albin Covington, Minister and Teacher, retired
Member of CHS Class of '51
Guest Writer



Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment