Tuesday, March 24, 2020

"THE MUSIC OF THE BEANS"




The three-year-old pintos
  (good as new, the experts say)
rolled easily and gently off 
 my open hand, two or three
at a  time.     as if skillfully arranged,
  each one pinging... minutely-
ringing tiny musical sounds, 
  every one slightly different...
into our favorite aluminum bowl...

Making music it seemed
  to my hungry ears?...
("Hungry ears?")  You know...
 and I was reminded of a nice 
Sunday morning hymn---
 "and  round  me rings
    the music of the spheres..."

Each bean, a miracle within 
  itself--seemed to echo its
previous brother-bean:
 "I am a legume. Miracle, Miracle!
There are vitamins and minerals
 right out of the earth stored in
me...that will make mortals healthy."

As the marvelous aluminum bowl
 filled     the pings turned 
into a cacophony of bass sounds
 and my thanksgiving went from
"per bean" to gratitude and 
 anticipation of  a whole hot bowlful, 
with corn bread    but wait   wait--

The beans were all saying...
    "Go find some ham...  for flavor."
-------------
MIL
24 MARCH 2020

(Writer's note: We ordered a 20 Lb.
 bag of pintos from Adobe Milling Co.
and it arrived, nice...in a tow sack
 and corrugated box. Five days later,
Adobe was out of beans...and their
 computer shut down...No more beans
until September.


---30---

No comments:

Post a Comment