Tuesday, March 24, 2020

'LET ME BE CLEAR". "I AM SICK AND TIRED" OF CLICHES



"At this point in time," "Let me be clear")
  I'm "fed up" ....with CLICHES!

Don't you just dread the next big TV
 kerfuffle, imbroglio , brouhaha--
what stupid phrases will be
aborning...and latched onto by
mediocre minds..  and repeated
o'er and o'er....ad nauseam...

For as we know: "An apple doesn't
 fall far from the tree!"
   (What did I mean by that???)
       (Who knows?)

Cliches don't really have to mean
 anything, do they? "Moving forward."
(Which other way...would we move?)

By now, "at this point in time," (vintage
 1973, "Watergate"), many folks  are
"Sick and tired," (1930's) of overused,
 hackneyed abuse of the English 
language. Ho hum. "at this point, in
  time..." blah...blah...blah...

And by the way, don't say you'll "pray"
  "I'll be praying")  if you don't really 
intend to pray. ("I covet your prayers.")
 etc. The comforting expressions are
so important and need to be said
 in the most heartfelt and sincere ways.

"Now, let it be said--" and I'll admit that
 hearing an old "saying" from  a
century ago can be downright fetching
 and somehow assuaging to our
hearts, which have been bombarded
over months...by waves of hatred
and inanity.

So we would likely be "much obliged"
 for any old-timey thoughts and 
words, recalling the "matchless days
 of yore." If you know any good old
  saws, "Let's touch base."


"Religious" folks need to remember
 that the world in general does 
not speak "PIOUS," and maybe 
they need to re-couch expressions
at times...which could sound ...
 cliched.

"At the end of the day," originally
  a British saw, I think (and which
O'Reilly dislikes) let is remember
 that we are intelligent enough
to polish our language ...amd 
 thoughts. 

More elocution and public speaking
 need to be taught...somewhere.
(Speakers need to hold their heads
 still and not do arm and hand
exercises while talking. We are not
  dummies.  Okay, a subject for
another piece...later on...

So...I think it's time to get out of this
 piece "With my hat and boots,"
an old poker-player's cliche.

But on leaving, I am reminded of
 a saying from early W. Texas
cotton farmers: "Don't never tell
 yore  guts." When I remember 
that somewhat earthy expression
 FB comes to mind.  

On FB people tell everything. Oh my!

A very dear and wise friend of mine
  from out Elida way, once gave 
me some excellent advice. (over
 a cup of coffee.) He said: "Always
play your cards close to your vest."

In parting, if one comes at me with
  a cliche, I can't help it...I must 
question his judgment...and
gumption.

"Let us be clear..." "going forward."
--------
MIL
4 MARCH 2020

"HAVE A GOOD DAY."

No comments:

Post a Comment