Thursday, May 9, 2019

PECK-PECK, PECK-PECK. "LET ME IN!"


While this very morning
  I was writing
my "dappled light" poem
   not five feet to
my left I kept on hearing
   a distracting noise
on the window glass...

PECK-PECK! PECK-PECK!   
        PECK-PECK!
.. tiny but a bit disturbing...
     maybe twenty-five times...
Looking, all I saw were
     two birds eating,
on the grain.  not much noise
   there
and I continued to write
   and then  the continued little
PECK-PECKS bothered me...

and I  looked just to my left
    and there was my little round
fuzzy brand new gray bird
     with few feathers yet,
slipping and sliding on the bar
    and pecking his heart out,
as if trying to get in
    to be with me   and he'd
peck awhile and then flit over
   to a bush; the branch turned
over with him, almost dumping
   him and he seemed scared
and pitiful and panicking...
   then came the tiny peck-pecks
again, always in pairs.
    "PECK-PECK' And then,
he was gone.

And I hope he is okay.

Maybe he just needs a friend.
-------
MIL
8 May 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment