Friday, May 3, 2019

"MY GARDEN PLANTS...ARE LAUGHING WITH JOY---JUST TO BE ALIVE!"


MIL'S 'MATERS 2016

MIL'S 'MATERS, 2018


PLANTING DAY 22 MAY, 2018



      WALLY'S MATERS, late April, 2019

 "MY GARDEN PLANTS...ARE DANCING WITH JOY---JUST TO BE ALIVE!"
Mil's Dad, 1975

My daddy, a West Texas cotton-
farming boy from early 20th 
Century days could grow things
in his garden, better'n just about 
anybody I ever knew....(until I met
those Southern Boys, Bubba and
Wally, and that's a whole 'nother
story...)

Why Dad could graft a green apple
branch onto a red apple tree and 
it would grow apples...I've forgotten
what color...yes, he done it more'
once't. He knew when to spray his 
apple trees and cherry trees against
worms and how many times to do it
and he and mama had dozens of
bushels of apples for ever body and
a front closet full of canned cherry
preserves, in handy pint Mason jars.
They canned many jars of green
beans and black-eye peas, and the
whole family could not wait for their
annual gift jar of "chow-chow," a
forgotten or unheard of thing by
modern folks, who never heard of
red beans and cornbread either.

You could always find MY short-
lived yellow squash plants by the
gray-moving -cover (squash bugs)
ever present 'til my plants died...
but those hardy bugs kep away
from Dad's squash...he kilt 'em
quick-like... as if "some can grow
stuff...and some can't..." an' they
et plenty o' squashes...Mama liked
to mix 'em up with copious butter,
her main Dawson County sauce. 

Over on Reid Street in Olde Great
Clovis during WWII, we had a
Victory Garden every year and guess
whose job it was to weed and tend
it...and pick beans and water maters...
But Dad hisself liked fooling with the 
maters and picking them and giving 
me advice, but as said, I was the 
hoer. 

When it came to gardening you 
could never beat Dad...he had a long
head start... except in later life I think
I out-done him on tomato growin' and
he got downright jealous, and he
copied my fertilizer, I'm pretty sure.

Well, what else could I grow at my 
"new" place (1985) here on the Mesa
in the shade of the Watermelon Mtns.--
our place was covered with grass, 
cement, and gravel...except my Earth
Boxes! Almost no plain old empty dirt...

One morning, maybe about 1975 and
over there in my hometown of Clovis,
in Dad's cool, green, trees-plants-
grassy-backyard ...he was settin' there
in his old rusted steel lawn chair against
the house with my little son, Brian...in 
the other old chair..and he was musing 
out loud about things, and he said: (and
my boy never forgot it):

       "I love to sit out here early in
         the morning, when the air is 
         fresh and cool and there is 
         dew over everything...and
         watch my little plants, laughing
         for joy...just to be alive."

Early Americans knew what it was to
struggle...for all things...just to survive...
-------
EARLY FATHER'S DAY TRIBUTE
29 APRIL 2019
BY MIL
( a piece written in the  new
   "block-poem" style...)

(edited by Mil)

No comments:

Post a Comment