Sunday, April 14, 2019

THE YELLOW DAFFODILS and THE "DAPPLED LIGHT" OF SPRING...


 



That late-in-February date
             it came a light snow
one long cold winter night and the next
   morning (ah!) crocuses  were
             peeking through the snow
in the flower bed    a few days
   later a big beautiful white-wing dove
showed up on the bird grain
    just outside my "writing window"
            and I said to myself:
"Spring is here....once more!"

But then, almost the worst cold wind
    ever seen or known in these
        parts    in late March    came in
  and blew all day and all night---
as if straight from Barrow or the Yukon...
      I put on my heaviest flannel shirt
as fireplace fires permeated the air... and
     retreated to the warm cozy attic
            with a good book   and got under
the bunk quilts (from grandma)

This went on...warm and cold, warm
    and cold,   it seemed like for days
and antsy-early-tomato-growers
         couldn't wait    and planted early
one warmish day   but. the winds blew
    and the  therm hit twenty-eight....

But then... suddenly (it seemed)
    just the other day     weather changes
happened all at once---it was still...
          and warmer...and peaceful...
and a whippoorwill  sang from the pines...
     swallows were seen returning...
my big beautiful white-wing dove
           was back on the grain
outside the window...  white lilacs
   with their unmatched aromas
 permeating the neighborhood...
            Bright yellow dadfodils
were  seen everywhere     and then
     I saw on my writing place,
as the sun rose higher in the sky---
    "The Dappled Light"  and I knew:

Spring is finally here!
--------
MIL
14 April 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment