Friday, April 12, 2019

MOONED AGAIN THIS SPRING...BY THE SAME DOVE







While sitting at my "writing desk"
   the other spring morning
right here beside my "writing window"
    with the soft, gentle light
of an early hour so-soothing coming in...
    and with the stash of bird-grain
hanging barely six feet away---
    I was writing away and waiting
for breakfast with the birds   and
    being quite occupied...

When "Swish, Bang, Boink!!" I tho't
    a big gray chicken had made
a crash landing iinto the window...
    and onto the grain...and there he sat
in all his majesty   but it was one
    of nature's most-beautiful
and miraculous creations  and check--
    not showy or ostentatious  but
a subtle blend of grays and blues
     with a white trim   swept back
along under his wings   streamlined...

Already pecking away, hungry, as if
    he had been out for an early
wake-up flight   and he was a
    chubby one   and paying me,
with my mouth open gaping at him--
    no attention      whatsoever

This fine dove reminded me
    of my last year's dove which
hung out here  and was a sort of
     a bird-friend   until when the
cold came he headed off to S.A.
                  and
the more I studied this one-- I tho't--
    "It could be MY dove!"
from last year, tho' a little older,
    fatter, and maybe wiser..."
But   how did he remember how to
    return here?

Under my breath I murmured:
    "Welcome home my friend,
we left the grain out for ya' "

He must've heard me.  
  and as if he had   he suddenly
turned and gave me a
   friendly moon  and I knew

Yes! It was "our dove!"

He had come back, for one
    more spring!
---------
MIL
6 APRIL 19

No comments:

Post a Comment