Tuesday, January 10, 2017

CLOVIS MEMORIES---THE SNAZZY PIG, BUSY BEE, and CLOVIS STEAM LAUNDRY



by Robert Stebbins, CHS '51

The Snazzy Pig, a most unusual name for an eating place, was located on East First Street, facing South, directly across the alley behind the Clovis Steam Laundry, which was located on the corner of First and Main Streets.

"Pop Townsend," the father of Johnnie Townsend who operated the hamburger joint just across the street East of Junior High, was the owner of the Snazzy Pig. 

This little cafe, with the rather quizzical and interesting name, when mentioned today, sort of epitomizes "Clovis" for the old-timers remembering the thirties and forties. The Pig's speciality,    
I believe, was hamburgers!  Note the tall sign in the photo indicating that it was open 24 hours a day and makes it a forerunner of today's Denny's Restaurants. 

I don't recall The Pig's location ever being anywhere else in town except behind the Clovis Steam Laundry. 

Remembering those days, my dad's uncle and aunt, the W.F. Swartz's, owned and operated the Clovis Steam Laundry from about 1912 until the end of WWII when they sold it to a Mr. Shirley, who later sold it to Manzy Simms, who owned it until it burned to the ground.

My dad came to New Mexico in 1927 to go to work for the Swartz's.  He made truck deliveries of laundry in Clovis and all over Southeastern New Mexico, as well as working in the washroom...that is---washing the dirty clothes.

After my mother died in 1938, my dad and I moved into a basement bedroom at the Swartz's home at 801 Connelly.

He continued to work for them at the laundry until he and his cousin started the Snow White Bakery, located in the 300 block of West 7th Street. It was next to the alley on the  South side of the street; this occurred about 1939 or 1940.

Shortly after the Pearl Harbor bombing on December 7, 1941, my dad joined the army, his cousin Jay Lynn joined the navy, and I believe the bakery was closed.

During the late 1930's while Dad was still at the laundry, I remember him taking me down to the Clovis Steam Laundry washroom, usually on a Saturday.  After work, he would put me into a washing machine, draw some warm water, and not closing the door or activating the tub motor, I would take my "Saturday night bath."

There were bathrooms and bathtubs at the Swartz's house, but maybe my dad thought it was just something to do after finishing his work.  I vividly remember the caulked-oak wooden "tub" with it's beautifully designed heavy-duty brass door hinges and latches.

In those days, the laundry repairs to steam pipes and equipment were done mostly by my Dad on weekends after the boiler was shut down and the steam pipes and machinery had cooled.

The Busy Bee Cafe was my folks' favorite restaurant on Saturday nights after a hard week's work.

My Dad's favorite there was a T-Bone steak, but I liked the halibut steak, even with its few small bones.

If I recall correctly, during the late 1940's, Jim and Gus Rallis, who were brothers and partners in the Busy Bee, charged about $ .95 to $1.25 for either the steak or the fish, including dessert--which for me was usually vanilla ice cream...

Memories....memories......three important places in my early life....yes, happy memories of our old home town......as it once was.  


"....my dad joined the army....."

****************
FOR MIL'S PLACE
by Robert Stebbins, CHS '51
Guest Writer
January 9, 2017


4 comments:

  1. wasn't the Busy Bee ran by Gus Delonas ..???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orginally, the Busy Bee was owned and operated by Jim and John Rallis. Their nephew Gus Delonas joined them in about 1944. Gus had operated the Busy Bee in Hot Springs, NM until he was drafted during WW II.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robert! I'm currently doing some family history research and both my grandparents on my mom's side worked at Clovis Steam Laundry! In fact, that is where they met before eventually getting married. I wonder if you remember them? My grandfather was a delivery man and my grandmother was the book keeper: Edward A. Bouse and Setha C. Bouse (Burch was here maiden name).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert, my father owned Yarborough Sporting Goods, which I believe was located between the Buzy Bee Cafe (on corner) and the Mesa Theater. I believe it opened in the early 50's. Do you have any memory of his sporting goods store?

    ReplyDelete