Thursday, January 28, 2016

THE RED BRICKS OF MAIN STREET....IN OUR HOME TOWN


Old Main Street in Clovis
    if it could only talk...
O the tales it could tell...

If they could have somehow been
    equipped with recording
devices....how marvelous it
    would be to replay...hearing
from each car!

Cars, dragging Main after a lot of 
     victories in sports, and maybe 
a few defeats....horns honking...
    People waving...laughing...
standing out in front of Standridges...

Times of snow and ice, and I've heard,
     some sledding behind cars...

Car exhaust smells...filling the air!

Hotel Clovis...ever watching o'er its kids!

Lyceum Theater, ever beckoning: "Come
    on in!"

WWII parades, with soldiers marching...
     Pioneer Day parades with the 
Shriners, the Mounted Patrol, and
     the CHS Band, and the twirlers!

The by-gone decades of 
     dragging Main are unforgettable
memories.

Imagine my chagrin a few years ago 
    when Bobby Joe and I were
talking on email...and he said---
    "You won't believe this, but the
kids don't drag Main anymore."

WHAT? Was I reading correctly?

I sat down and read it over. Yes, that's
    what he said.
My mind swept back thru the mists
    of time to a thousand Main draggings---
Week nights,  Saturday nights, 
    Sunday afternoons....anytime...
That's where you went!

A few dozen youthful faces, riding in forties
     autos, flashed across my mind....
Main Street was a big part of our world!
    As were our classmates, many dating
back to 1939.

They would ever be a part of our lives...
    and our memories....
And alas, a good many are dragging the
    Streets of Gold...maybe in chariots...

It seemed something happy and valuable
     had been taken from my town, my life,
my history...and from my old compadres...

By now, on the Long Journey of Life,
     I had begun to learn of---
Change and Loss...and tho' I could never
     quite accept them, I'd learned to live 
with them...

But oh, those faithful old red bricks, so much
     a part of our youth....how about 
them? Do they get lonely?

By 2018, they will be a hundred years old;
     When we first passed over them,
they were in their twenties.

Look at them. They have aged well!

Each one was a friend, even those 
    by the curb.
**********************
BY MIL
1/27/16



No comments:

Post a Comment