Thursday, January 28, 2016

GENUINE HOMEMADE ENGLISH ORANGE MARMALADE



GENUINE HOMEMADE ENGLISH  ORANGE MARMALADE

There may be nothing better on a cold winter night, 
if there is no soup to be found on the stove, in the fridge
or freezer...than to settle down to watch a "LONGMIRE"
re-run with a steaming cup of decaf and couple of
those frozen homemade biscuits...that come in a sack.

With a veggie sausage on each one. Jimmy Dean's are
better sausages but "Oh the guilt trip..." they are so 
fatty!

But here's the "Biggie!" B.E. will always say: "Want ''em
buttered...WITH SOME ORANGE MARMALADE ON 'EM?"

How utterly tempting...for has anything ever been invented
that is more delicious than ORANGE MARMALADE??

(Never tasted it 'til I was grown!. Didn't have up it down 
in West Texas. "No oranges" ergo---no marmalade. Simple
as that!) Of course they did have oranges down in Florida---
"Look away...look away...Dixie Land..."

Yes! I wanted it on my sausage biscuits, but remembered 
"SMUCKER'S LAW OF STICKY"----"one drop of orange
marmalade will make everything within a square yard---
STICKY!"

Yes, you guessed it---if I put  any  o' that imitation honey on my
sopaipilla  down at the Mexican restaurant, soon I am  covered
all over with the stuff...and can't even pay up...my Washingtons
are stuck together, and all...

Being quite a bit fascinated by the "whole marmalade thing..."
I recently did some research.

Wikipedia---"Marmalade is a fruit preserve made from the juice
and peel of citrus fruits, boiled with sugar and water."

"It can be produced from kumquats, lemons, limes, grapefruit,
mandarins, sweet oranges, bergamots, or other citrus fruits or
any combination thereof."

"The benchmark citrus fruit for marmalade in Britain is the 
Spanish Saville orange---"citrus aurantium." (I threw this 
in just to impress Wally. He knows those Latin terms!) It is
much prized for its pectin content, which gives a good set.

Back to me in my Lazy Boy, getting set to watch 
"LONGMIRE"---"No," I said to B.E., "I'll skip it or it"ll be all
over my TV control (and me)...and you know how STICKY
Comcast is about everything (no pun intended)--- they'll 
go up five bucks a month! Any excuse---you know!"

In my musings today about marmalade I thought of the
angel on the Earth Planning Committee, back in the 
beginning of time, who probably is a High-Ranking
Angel today for "Lord, here's my plan to have a jam
using every bit of the fruit---EVEN THE PEELS!"

And then I mused---what if in my little college cafe,
'crost the street from HSU--- the Chatterbox---if
I'd said, "I'll have toast and coffee (you know---on
the run to class) with some pergamots marmalade,"
they'd have thrown me out.

Have YOU done any musing about IT?
**************************
You may want to google MIL'S PLACE:
"DON'T GET ORANGE MARMALADE ON YOUR
APPLE."
***************************
BY MIL
1/27/16
(If you like this one, wait 'til
you read "MUSINGS ON 
CHOW-CHOW!")




No comments:

Post a Comment