Tuesday, October 20, 2015

THINKING TODAY ABOUT DORA RUSSELL


Dora M. Russell

"THINKING  TODAY ABOUT DORA RUSSELL"

.......by Albin Covington

I got to thinking today about Dora Russell at old CHS. 
She was my homeroom teacher as well as Spanish 
teacher.

Years ago when I was in the Navy, I was aboard ship
with my brother Ross. We used to talk Spanish so guys
there didn't know what we were taking about. That was 
one thing that I was especially grateful for!

I have forgotten most of my Spanish now, but I do recall
once when I was glad to know it.

I was preaching at a church in Oklahoma, driving a school
bus, and also supplying as a substitute teacher. Hardly
anyone there knew any Spanish. There was a Mexican family 
that moved into this small farm community. Their kids spoke
perfect English but enjoyed using Spanish to sort of aggravate 
the other students.

One day I was asked to sub for a class. I went in at the time
the Mexican boys were giving the others a hard time---in
Spanish.

I set my books on the desk, after having overheard some of
the lingo...and in Spanish uttered loudly...one of Miss Dora 
Russell's favorite expressions--- "CALLATE Y SIENTATE!"

"BE QUIET AND SIT DOWN!" (A more literal translation could
be "SHUT UP!" Of course Miss Russell always said it with
a twinkle and much love in her heart for her students.)
**************************
When we all graduated from beloved old Clovis High School
in May if 1951, I went to work for the the ATand T; SFRY as a
"signalman apparent." I was on a gang which traveled from
place to place installing and maintaining railroad signals at
crossings and other places.

In the fall we went to Artesia, N.M. to install crossings signals
just south of town. We had a flatbed truck that we used to
haul our equipment.

One morning we loaded a large reel of cables on the truck,
along with our tools and three of us grunts. The reel should 
have been secured---but it wasn't.

As we headed south of town and turned off the highway, the
reel rolled toward the back of the truck. I grabbed a Pock
handle and stopped it---a dumb move since we were almost
to our work site!

When the driver turned the corner---a bit too fast---the reel
started over the side of the truck...taking me with it! When I 
hit the road, my left leg hit the pavement very hard.

My friends somehow summoned a doctor out of Artesia.
This elderly M.D.---a Dr. Russell, arrived and took me in 
his car to the hospital and then to a clinic. The clinic was 
in the doctor's house.He said my leg was not broken---just 
skinned-up and bruised.

I noticed a picture there on his desk. I was sure that there
couldn't be two people who looked like that! I asked him
if that was Miss Russell. "Yes," he said. I asked if she was
his sister. He replied: "No, she is my daughter."

We sat and chatted for a time and then he drove me out to
our railroad bunk car.  The next day he even drove out
to check on me and see how I was doing.

When I got back to Clovis, I went by and told Miss Russell
about my experience and she got a great kick out of hearing
all about it!

Many years later, I was on the staff at the college  in Artesia
and I was talking to the head of the nursing home there in 
town one day---and mentioned that I was from Clovis---he 
then asked me if I knew Dora Russell.

He then told me she had been in the home there for years.
and she had just passed away that week. I wish I had known.

(It'd be nice if I could remember Spanish as well as I do 
historic events.)
***************


FOR MIL'S PLACE
By Dr. Albin Covington, CHS '51
Guest Writer
October 17, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment