Saturday, October 10, 2015

"S'MORES....GRACKLES....AND DISGRONIFICATORS"



She looked me right in the eye
                     coyly
She knew I liked words
                      and knew
I knew a bunch of 'em

And she said with a twinkle
                       in her eye
"What is a grackle?"

Remembering she had
     stumped me once before
With "What is a s'more?"
    and I had answered
"A small rodent-like burrowing
     animal that dozes a lot"

"WRONG," she said, pleased with
                                       herself
"It is a campfire-type sandwich,"
                            she announced
"made of graham crackers, chocolate,
    and a melted marshmallow."

So I decided to BLUFF "grackle".
    " A grackle is splendid snack
in a sack that is wonderful to eat
     while watching old John Wayne 
movies---it is made with a secret 
     recipe, combining Fritos
                               and Cheez-its!"

"WRONG AGAIN," she almost shouted!
    "It is a Big Black Bird," 
obviously proud of her alliteration!

"Okay, MY TURN," I said "What is a
                               disgronificator?"

I had her...and she knew it...I thought

Putting her graceful fingers together in
    in an oval...(signifying great knowledge?)
She answered : "A disgronificator is a
     sort of speedometer, in reverse, 
for measuring speed when one is backing-up!"

Uh oh, you don't suppose she's right!
-----------------------
MY MIL
October 5, 2015               





No comments:

Post a Comment