Wednesday, June 10, 2015

THE TURQUOISE GATE



"THE TURQUOISE GATE"

The Gate...
    The Turquoise Gate
to my neighbor's backyard
     was really My Gate.

It might have been
    could have been
         ought to have been
              almost was
                   a Red Gate!

How do you like that?

Because you see,
     our beloved neighbors
          went off to their home state
               of Florida

For five weeks, and asked me to water
     and mow their back lawn (and front,)

"Sure," I said.
     Nicer neighbors, we never had!
          Off they went, twelve hundred
                miles---for five weeks!

That became a long time, when I had to
     deal ev'ry day, with a more-or-less
          three-piece gate!

Yes, it was rickety! To say the least....

One day, I said: "That's it, my friend Mr. Gate!"
     "I've had it with you!"

Went to TRU-Value, bought 1 X 8's, bolts,
      heavy-duty hinges, and paint.
           Cut the pieces, matching the
                 old gate....angled the top
                      down from a point.

Drilled holes with my new drill, bolted it
    together...and painted it...two coats...

Almost painted it red, but had bought turquoise.
    
My neighbor, on returning, was thrilled!
     But he went back to Fla. in '95
          to stay.

Ah, but my new neighbor, said one day:
     "Someone knew how to build gates!
           Is that a sturdy one, or what?!"

And he added: "I like the color!"

I, myself, look at it often, and admire it.

"MY GATE."
***************
MIL'S PLACE
BY MIL
6/02/15





No comments:

Post a Comment