Friday, May 15, 2015

"SQWAH-RELLS"



My son
    has a golden retriever
light-tan colored,
    makes a pretty rug
in winter...

His name is odd,
    you might say...
"Slider."

He is a country dog,
     not a city dog.
Wildlife abounds where 
     he lives.

It's okay with him--the 
    wildlife---
that cavorts all around
    his domicile.

That is, except for one
    class of critters...

"Squirrels!"

(pronounced "SQWAH-RELLS"
      in canine lingo.)

No one knows if he likes 'em,
    or hates 'em
But he likes to chase them,
    that is certain.

He's never caught one.

He can be sound asleep,
     his chin resting on
his front paws...
    and if his master says
loudly: "SQWAH-RELL..."
   he is awake at once 
and headed for the door,
   ears standing up!

I too had an experience with
    small animals
yesterday, while writing at
    my table by the "bird
window," which has a grain
    feeder five feet away...
outside...

I glanced out the window
    to check for birds...
as I was wont to do...
    but had a strange and
bizarre surprise! I couldn't
    figure it out---
for a moment!

The strange vision was our
    hanging-grain-cylinder
feeder...with a TAIL!

A big long furry tail like a
    Dan'l Boone cap has!

Then I saw a little face with
     a tiny black nose,
intelligent eyes, and a cute little
    mouth chewing grain 
faster'n I had ever  seen anything
    chewed!

It was. clearly not a bird.

Then I realized what it was.
    I knew then why my granddog
gets excited!

A "SQWAH-RELL" had found 
    our grain!


**************
MIL'S PLACE
BY MIL
May 14, 2015
**************
Dedicated to "Slider."


No comments:

Post a Comment