Tuesday, October 14, 2014

DOVIE AND DUDLEY




Mil’s Note:  This is a continuation of the “Dovie” story, written by Bob Snipes.  To view the story, see Mil’s Place:  “Dovie”, Aug. 22, 2014.  

“Dovie and Dudley”, by Bob Snipes

Dovie is a scream.  It is a different story every day. 

One of her babies comes and eats with her now, but is not as cozy as Dovie.  Dovie’s mate tries to come and eat, but Dovie runs him off and chases him up on the house.  

Sometimes Dovie is real skittish about eating out of my hand and then if she is real hungry, she will fly right down at my feet and follow me to the barn to get the grain.  
 **************************************************************************************
Update, several weeks later:  

After several weeks of coaxing Dovie’s mate to join the dinner party, Dudley, (as I have named him) is finally welcomed by Dovie to come and share a meal with her  She would often flog him and run him off, especially if her baby was near.  But it seems like baby Dovie has gone her own way and now Dovie welcomes a dinner companion.

Now, sometimes Dudley will come down first, but Dovie seems to arrive soon after.  They are both very cautious.  Last week when it was chilly, I wore a red windbreaker and a cap.  Dovie would hardly eat, but was walking around about 2-1 feet away.  I finally dumped the grain out of my hand and slipped away and she came and gobbled it up. 

 Yesterday I put on a black windbreaker and a cap.  Dovie was still very cautious, and seemed uncomfortable...continually turning her head and looking at me.  I gently removed my cap and that seemed to make Dovie happy.  After looking around, she came up and ate vigorously and Dudley joined her.  Interesting birds, and it seems to be something different every day.  
           

by Bob Snipes, guest writer
For Mil's Place
10/14/14

No comments:

Post a Comment