Tuesday, December 3, 2013

"IT'S MY SNAKE!"





    By AUNT WILLA and MIL

    I have been very lucky to have "married into" a fine
    Christian family of Oklahomans. My wife's mother had
    five sisters and a brother. She married Denzil in 1935
    and they were a very devoted couple.

    Denzil was a  salt-of-the-earth guy---one who was always
    looked up to by his friends. He was always a chairman
    or president... of the deacons or the building committee,
    Rotary Club, or whatever. I admire him as one of the best 
    men I have ever known.

    Now, he had a great sense of humor and was happiest
    when he was poking fun at Pauline. He particularly 
    liked to tweak and correct her when she was telling a
    story; sometimes she needed it and other times he was
    merely teasing her, with that mischievous look on his
    face.

    After a few years of being in the family, I began to
    notice that she would cut him off, when he tried to 
    correct her---she sounded mostly good-natured about
    this correction...but occasionally there  was a bit of a
    bite in her tone: "DENZIL, IT'S MY SNAKE."

    After 57 years of marriage to the Beloved Editor, and
    sadly, after the passing of both these much-loved
    parents, I said to her one day: "Let's run down the
    origin of the snake thing; let's ask the aunts!"

    So ALL FAMILIES have cute, priceless, inside sayings
    that came out of some experience and they wouldn't
    sell them for a thousand dollars. After all, they are 
    "family" sayings, and a whole lot of love is attached 
    to them.

    It just happened that Aunt Willa was involved in this
    saying. Here is her tale (by Aunt Willa):

    Mil, I can revisit the snake story for you. When I was
    working in a classroom years ago. We had a story-teller
    come to tell stories to the class. He was telling a story
    about this snake.

    He started his story and as he continued, he said: "And
    the snake opened one eye and then the other." A 
    young student said: "But snakes don't close their
    eyes." 

    The story-teller said, and I quote: "This is my story and
     my snake, and it can do whatever I want."

     I told the story to Pauline and as Denzil often corrected
     her when she was telling things, she began saying:
     "Denzil, this is MY snake!"

     That would remind him not to correct her. This was a fun 
      thing and she used it often. Miss those two very much!

      (And so do we.) Thanks, Aunt Willa. We loved your story!
      *************
      We've  got several other inside family sayings, such as:
      "Who put the snow on?" "SLOSH, SLOSH, " and
      a brand new one: "Did you bring the Girl Scout cookies?!"

      My reader, tell me some of yours and I will tell you more
      of mine!
      


      *********30********
       MIL'S PLACE
       BY AUNT WILLA AND MIL

       12/03/13

No comments:

Post a Comment