Sunday, September 22, 2013

"UNDER HIS WINGS"---A GOSPEL SONG

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither
angels nor demons, neither the present not the future,
nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything
else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the
love of God that is in Christ Jesus Our Lord."
......ROMANS 8:38-39

***********************************************
"WHO FROM HIS LOVE CAN SEVER?
***********************************************

So my friends, here is something on which to hang our
souls! Let us take heart! If we are "under his wings,"
there is no harm which can ever permanently befall us.
No, none!

In my early career as a gospel singer and choral director,
I led the music for some sixty-three revivals, many of
them two weeks long. The song I write about in this post
was one that I sang in nearly every one of those meetings.
There were morning services also.

It was a favorite of mine then and remains so to this day,
though it has been many years since my last revival...and
for some reason, we don't hear of revivals much anymore.

To me, the key line in "Under His Wings, is noted above:
"Who from his love can sever?" If we ever get down and
discouraged, what greater promise and hope do we have?

The words to "Under His Wings" were written by William
Orcott Cushing (1823-1902). He was a pastor for many
years---known as a kind and compassionate man whose
love for Jesus could be seen in his daily life and by the
way he treated others.

After his wife died in 1870, he retired from preaching and
began writing hymns. He wrote more than 300, including
"Ring the Bells of Heaven" and "O Thou Blest Rock of
Ages, I'm Hiding In Thee," as well as the words of this
song---"Under His Wings."

Ira D. Sankey, (1840-1908) the great gospel tune-writer,
wrote the music for Cushing's song, and it appeared in
his "Sacred Songs," 1896 edition. Gospel music owes
much to Sankey, for he wrote the music for 12,000 songs.
Five of his hymn-tunes appear in the beloved 1957
Baptist Hymnal.

Store the words to this fine song in your heart:

"Under his wings I am safely abiding,
Though the night deepens and tempests are wild;
Still I can trust Him, I know He will keep me...
He has redeemed me and I am His child.

Under His wings, what a refuge in sorrow!
How the heart yearningly turns to His rest;
Often when earth has no balm for my healing
There I find comfort and there I am blest.

Under his wings, oh, what precious enjoyment,
There will I hide 'til life's trials are o'er;
Sheltered, protected, no evil can harm me,
Resting in Jesus I'm safe evermore.

CHORUS:
Under His wings, under His wings,
Who from His love can sever?
Under His wings, my soul shall abide,
Safely abide forever."







********30*******
BY MIL
09/22/13

No comments:

Post a Comment