Tuesday, September 17, 2013

OLD CAR





**********************************************************
A FANTASY INTERVIEW WITH AN OLD CAR....
**********************************************************

Old car...
You know, don't you,
That I admire you!

What's not to admire
About an old vet
like you?

I think you're
A thirty-five Plymouth.
The only way I could
admire you any more is
If you were a Chevy.

We're about the same age...
You and me,
And I 'spect we've prolly
"Seen it all!"

Why, I've even flown in
cars like you, over big dips...
In the road
(Don't aak me how!)
and lived to tell about it.
Bet you've never done that.

You and I have about
the same number of miles
on us, I reckon!

Were yours highway miles.
Or off the pavement....
On the rocky roads and
Thru the deep waters
and slush of life?
Like most people...

Did you get stuck?

You look pretty beat up;
If you'd known
You'd live so long---
Would you have taken
Better care of yourself?

Figuratively speaking
I've had my flats
Just like you;
And yes, cold mornings
When my battery was down,
And I needed a jump start!

Time was, more than once---
I had to be pushed.

I've been low on oil
Countless times---
Had many abrasions and
A few dents!

Luckily, no transplants for me
But I see you have a new door;
Respectfully speaking...
Did a quack body-shop
guy do it?

If you were a horse,
In cowboy vernacular,
I'd say: "You look like
you've been rode hard and
put up wet!"
No offense intended.

Hope you don't mind questions...
You interest me, a right smart!

Were you owned by the proverbial
Little old lady in Nikes?
Or was it a teen-ager?
Were you out late on
Saturday nights?
Were you, er...."sped?"

Did your owner hang
With a good crowd?
(Your buddies resting there
with you, look...
A bit dissipated.)

Did someone take good
care of you...
You know---change your oil,
and anti-freeze and keep
you greased and polished?

Was WWII hard on you?
Did you "roll on recaps?"

Did you live
in a cozy garage?

Now, let's talk about...
Your paint job.
Where did you get THAT
In the thirties??

If you were a human,
I'd say: "Someone got you
drunk and PAINTED YOU!"
No offense.

(But you know,
I kinda like it!)

I'm glad we met,
Even though you're
A bit "laid up."
You know there'll
be no more like you,
Don't you?

Like many other
GREAT THINGS, AMERICAN---
The Plymouth name
Is gone with the wind.
Why?

At least, your owner
Had the money, foresight,
And respect for the
Plymouth name...to put
you in a cool shady little
grove of trees---
for your declining years...

Tho' I'll admit---
It must be galling
To spend eternity
With a couple of
Reprobate-looking Fords!
*******30*******
BY MIL
09/17/13

No comments:

Post a Comment