Friday, May 31, 2013

"ENDLESS PALAVER"



************************
"I have given you speech for endless palaver."
 from "The Rock," by T.S. Eliot
************************

Is it true,
Like in T.S. Eliot's poem---
That "endless palaver" thing?
Are we guilty of it?

"Why no," most people'd say.
"Not me, oh I do chit-chat
a little on FacePlace, but
Only important stuff---
Important information."

They'd  say:
"Okay, the other day
Someone did accuse me of
TMI---(don't you hate acronyms?)
'Too Much Information.'
But it was certainly not
"endless palaver!"

Had a friend once who had
Great gobs of gravitas.
Seriously.
He once said: "Always play
your cards close to the vest!"
He was saying: "your business
is your business,
Don't be a blabbermouth!"

Why even my lifetime friend, Levi,
When he  was six years old, and asked
why he didn't talk, answered:
"SMART PEOPLE DON'T TALK MUCH."

In the forties, out on farms
They said about a talker:
"He tells his guts!"
Farmers were laconic---
They listened more
than they talked.

First I ever heard of FacePlace was in 2009.
Wife mentioned it and I said
"WHAT? NO!"
"Yes!" she said.

Then I became a blogger,
Wordier yet---
FacePlace is too brief for me.
Uh-oh!

Remember the Nantucket whalers,
Gone from their families
Three years at a time, around
Dangerous Cape Horn---
Their plights unknown to
Anxious families---on tenterhooks...
They could've used FacePlace.

You say
"Where are you going with this?"
Anywhere, everywhere, nowhere---
Same place as most of
Our palaver!

*******30*******
BY MIL
5/22/13

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment