Thursday, July 26, 2012

"BLESSED JESUS, HOLD MY HAND!"



If I had the space and the memory to list here the four year repertoire of the Hardin-Simmons University A Cappella Choir during the years 51-55, you might be amazed. It included classic choral numbers such as "Let Their Celestial Concerts All Unite," "Blessing, Glory, Wisdom," "Praise Be to Thee, O Heavenly Father"--Palestrina, "The Creation," "O Thou In Whose Presence," "Holy, Radiant Light," "Beautiful Saviour" arr. by Christiansen, (our traditional closing number), and many others.

Those are samples above of the kind of music we did, and add to them hymn and gospel song arrangements, Negro spirituals, Southern gospel, Sacred Harp, and secular, and we had quite a repertoire. Hearing that HSU choir practice on the campus in Behrens Chapel, if you were a hundred yards away, you might have thought you were listening in on Heaven!

Now why did I tell you all that? Well, today I want to tell you about a song that some might not class as scholarly church music, not exactly like those above. It is a kind of Southern gospel piece; done in a certain way, it could sound almost Appalachian.

I have picked it, because though I had heard it for many years, one day about five years ago, while rummaging through some music, I ran across it and got to humming it and reading the words and was touched by what it said. I mean---really touched. I thought: "This song has a real message in it--one of prayer and supplication for God to help us everyday as we walk through the journey of life." The tune moves along smoothly and nicely, though some swing it quite a bit.

I can visualize walking out in front of a choir of about thirty-six voices, getting the pitch, and directing this choir singing a cappella, very full sound, very smooth legato; sung very reverently, prayerfully, and sincerely. My, my, what a nice rendition that would be. The text is simple poetry, but read it through--it gets the job done. It is pretty good!

Words and music written by Albert E. Brumley, and copyrighted originally in Gems of Gladness, Hartford Music Co., 1933. I am sharing the text with you here. This is not a "high church hymn," but it is a good one that deals with our daily walk.

"JESUS, HOLD MY HAND!"

As I travel through this pilgrim land
There is a Friend who walks with me,
Leads me safely thru the sinking sand,
It is the Christ of Calvary.
This would be my pray'r, dear Lord, each day
To help me do the best I can,
For I need Thy light to guide me day and might
Blessed Jesus, hold my hand.

Chorus:
Blessed Jesus, hold my hand,
Yes, I need Thee every hour;
Thru this land, this pilgrim land
Protect me by Thy saving pow'r.
Hear my plea, my feeble plea,
Lord, dear Lord, look down on me,
When I kneel in prayer, I hope to meet You there,
Blessed Jesus, hold my hand.

Let me travel in the light divine
That I may see the blessed way;
Keep me that I may be wholly whine
And sing redemption's song each day;
I would be a soldier brave and true
And ever firmly take a stand,
As I onward go and daily meet the foe,
Blessed Jesus, hold my hand.

When I wander thru the valley dim
Toward the setting of he sun;
Lead me safely to a land of rest
If I a crown of life have won;
I have put my faith in Thee, dear Lord,
That I may reach the  golden strand,
There's no other Friend on whom I can depend,
Blessed Jesus, hold my hand.

Access Cynthia Clausen. This one is a bit swingy. I prefer The Chuck Wagon Gang; their lady singer has a nice touch of warmth in her voice. There are no choral arrangements that I could find.

*******30*******
BY MIL
7/15/12


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment