Saturday, May 26, 2012

"EVERY ONE OF THEM WAS DEAR TO MY HEART"

.........................................................................................................................

MEMORIAL DAY, 2012
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REMEMBERING CLOVIS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 1951
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was September, 1939; the weather was still very hot and school had been going for five days. I was only five years old and too young to go to school---or so I thought. I was busy out on that hot sidewalk in front of our laundry, riding up and down killing red ants along the sidewalk. I simply rode over them with my front wheel on my BIG tricycle. I had a vendetta for ants, ever since getting caught in an ant bed when I was three, and almost eaten up.

We had taken over the laundry in the summer of 1938 and my mother worked in there finishing shirts. Times were hard and there was no one to look after me.  Whether Mom felt sympathy for the ant population or worried about me out there alone, I'm not sure, but one day, five days after school had begun, she cleaned me up, dressed me, and as we went over to La Casita school to visit Mr. G. the principal, to inquire about starting me to school a year early, she probably said to me: "Try to look intelligent."  Mr. G. then sent us over to 8th and Pile to see the Main Man, Mr. B. I remember his office, his impressive look, but nothing that was said. When we walked out of there that day, I was the newest member of what would become the famous CHS Class of '51.

Arriving back over at La Casita School, I wound up in Miss T.'s first grade class, sitting at a double desk with Jimmy B. Not even being able to tie my own shoe, I was certainly at a disadvantage. Didn't even know where the bathroom was, never heard of recess, and nearly in tears I whispered my problem to Jimmy. Raising his hand and pointing to me, he said: "He needs to go to the bathroom." She said: "You take him, please."

From that day forward, J.B. was a good friend all through the 12 years in school. We re-established contact in the early nineties and always sent Christmas cards, with letters enclosed. He had become an avid golfer. He lived in California. Once when discussing the loss of several Class of '51 members that year, Jimmy wrote something that has stayed with me: "EVERY ONE OF THEM WAS DEAR TO MY HEART."

By starting to school in 1939--a year early-- it became my good fortune, as stated earlier, to become a member of a special group of people---a very bright and talented group, a warm and caring group, a very-successful-in-the-world group.

Non-members of the class---spouses---have commented on their feelings about the class reunions. J.R. passed away in 2009 and his wife wrote me: "I felt more at home at the CHS Class '51 reunions than I did at my own class reunions." Others have said the same thing.

The class lost J.B. back in the late 90's, as well as many others in the early years of this century.  Wanda S. and I, one day a couple of years ago, were trying to update the list of passed classmates, and did so as best we could.

Sadly, Wanda herself passed away several weeks ago. She should especially be remembered on this Memorial Day, along with our other classmates. She always had the class at heart....always. We owe the success of the 2006 and 2008 class reunions mainly to her.

We cannot list them all here; we don't even have a complete list....but let's remember J.B.'s words: "Every one of them was dear to my heart."

Do sit down Monday..................and remember our friends, by name.

            We Remember Them

In the rising of the sun and in its going down,
                   we remember them.

In the blowing of the wind and in the chill of winter,
                   we remember them.

In the opening of the buds and in the rebirth of spring,
                   we remember them.

In the blueness of the sky and the warmth of summer,
                   we remember them.

In the rustling of the leaves and in the beauty of autumn,
                   we remember them.

In the beginning of the year and when it ends,
                   we remember them.

When we are weary and in need of strength,
                   we remember them.

When we are lost and sick at heart,
                   we remember them.

When we have joys we yearn to share,
                   we remember them.

SO LONG AS WE LIVE, they too shall live.
          for they are now a part of us,
                   as we remember them.

Credit to:  NMGA


       
--------30--------
BY MIL
5/26/12

           



Sent from my iPad

           


No comments:

Post a Comment