Sunday, April 26, 2020

"THEN IN A NOBLER, SWEETER SONG, I'LL SING!"

THOUGHTS WHILE LOOKING AT A HUNDRED-YEAR-OLD  CHURCH...
I HEAR SINGING...from SOMEWHERE
    IN THE COSMOS...Truth Never Dies...
-------------------


"Ere since by faith I saw the stream
   Thy flowing wounds supply;
Redeeming love has been my theme
  And shall be 'til I die...
     And shall be 'til I die--
Redeeming love has been my theme
   And shall be 'til I die."
........William Cowper (1731-1800)
----------
"When I survey the wondrous cross
   On which the Prince of Glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss
   And pour contempt on all my pride.

See from His head, His hands, His feet--
   Sorrow and love flow mingling down;
Did  ere such love and sorrow meet
   Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Forbid it Lord, that I should boast 
   Save in the death of Christ, my God;
All the vain things that charm me most,
  I sacrifice them to his blood.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
   That were  a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine
  Demands my soul ..my life...my all."
  .......Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
--------
"Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,
   Calling for you and for me;
See, on the portals He's waiting
          and watching...
  Watching for you and for me.
Come home, come home,
   Ye who are weary come home."
........Will L.Thompson (1847-1909)
--------
"Brethren we have met to worship
   and adore the Lord our God...
All is vain unless the Spirit of the
  Holy One comes down;
Brethren pray and holy manna
   will be showered all around.
....... William E, Longataff (1822-1894)
-----------
Someone has wisely written: The Bible
  is God's revelation to man; the hymnal
is man's response to God.
-------
MIL
17 APRIL 2020

  Church, Taiban, N.M.
  ....photo Annalon Gilbreath
......Enhanced by Gary Dirlam
......Isaac Watts is said to be

        "The Father of English Hymnody"

No comments:

Post a Comment