Thursday, January 23, 2020

'THAT THING"



"THAT THING"

WWII...D-DAY 6 JUNE 1942






"That Thing" kept turning up
    around my writing desk and
      here and there and everywhere
and I scooted it around.  
   outta the way   ad infinitum...

What it was    and where it 
   came from     no one seemed
to know     and   even BE 
   tidying up my Place said:
      "What's this little silver
metal thing   that's about 
   two inches long    that's
always turning up   around here?"

ThEN she...who sees better'n 
   me      said: "Wait, there's
something stamped on it!"
   "WHY IT'S D-DAY." she said.
"Just says D-Day."

And then I took it   and I knew.

     Then I clacked  it  several times
"clack-clack...clack--clack..." 
     and handed it back to her
and in respectful reverence  said--

"You are holding a small and serious 
    of piece of history ...in your
hand---it is a duplicate of the
    signaling clackers the 
U.S. Airborne Division carried.   
     when they jumped into the 
dark unknown night sky 
   over St. Mere Elise, France...
early morn...on D-Day."
-------
Our kids had visited Normandy
   in April of 2019    and had
brought us this meaningful
   souvenir from a museum
near the beach.
--------
MIL

20 JANUARY 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment