Thursday, June 27, 2019

SORTING PINTOS AND HUMMING HYMNS

"Take the name of jesus with you...
    Child of sorrow and of woe
It will joy and comfort give you,
    Take it then where e'er you go...
Precious name, O how sweet!
    Hope of earth and joy of heav'n."

I saw my dear mother "a thousand times"  
    in the difficult days of the forties
rocking in her rocking chair     humming
     an old familiar hymn    and picking
the rocks and bean pieces    out of
     tomorrow's pot of pintos  cornbread
would be made fresh and hot   in the
    morning...          the hymn she favored
was oft the one she loved the most
   from her childhood..."Take the name
of Jesus--take it then where e'er you go."
    Forever etched on a young boy's
mind...along with warm family evenings.

As I watched her skill and dexterity,
   tossing occasional little rocks aside
along with the half beans   and one 
   night, after years of being mesmerized
I could stifle no longer   and I said:
        "Mom, why do you throw out
      the half beans? They are food too."

         "I don't know. I never thought 
                about it. My mother 
                     always did it."
----------
By MIL

26 JUNE  2019

No comments:

Post a Comment