Wednesday, November 7, 2018

"THE WILD...AND THE COLD...AND THE DARK...ARE CALLING"


You're twenty-five and the cold
   and the wet and the dark 
are calling you...you're up early

For it's autumn and the days
   of duck hunting season

It is five a.m. and you're sitting
    at the kitchen table 
already clad in your Fillson
    hunting clothes, complete
with a red/black 8 ounce warm
     flannel shirt, heavy canvas
pants and jacket  and Red Wing
     waterproof hunting boots

and your favorite Jones' wool
     cap

As you sip on the steaming-hot
    mug of coffee, you feel 
a certain strangeness about 
    the whole scene---who 
ever gets up this early and sits
    there, drinking real coffee---
no "de-caf" for wild-and-wooly
    guys

In the dim light you spy your
    trusty 16 gauge double
cleaned and oiled and ready
    to go....over there 
in the corner.     Dad gave me 
    that gun back in '46,
(and it kicked my shoulder 
      blue when I was fourteen)

I sip coffee and eat a donut 
   and fill each jacket pocket 
with half-a-dozen high brass
     green Remington # 4's
and feel the quality and heft
    of each round,
and note the colorful hunter-
    with-dog-photo, then 
common then on the boxes of
     twenty-five shells

Guns and hunting in those 
     years were highly-
admired American customs

In those times I owned 
    only one belt knife, and
it went everywhere with me,
     I had it riding on my
belt under my coat---
   It was my sharp 
Boy Scout knife!

As my marvelous little wife
    snoozed away, I
       was becoming excited 
about this hunt...and meeting
   J.T. and Bert and Don
on this frosty morning...soon
    
     Oh, the camaraderie!

It really matters not so much
   that we are successful
tho' wild duck is delicious 
    properly barbecued

It is all about the air, the 
    outdoors, the cold, and 
crawling through the high
   grass  and brush and
mud to the lake   to surprise
     those clever green-heads

...and the sheer joy of being...

And maybe the most important--
    reliving the day later at 
Polly's Cafe, eating biscuits 
    and gravy, with more coffee...

 Ah, the outdoors...and friendships ..
----------
MIL
4 OCTOBER 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment