Wednesday, October 25, 2017

EATING TRAIL MIX AND WATCHING CAPTAIN KANGAROO




It was, I reckon, along about
      Christmas-time of 2016
that
     someone gave us a 
medium-size sack of
     trail mix, and 

You know, 
     it has crunchy wheat, rice,
and corn chexes...curly pretzels,
     weird little round black 
crackers...a little nut or two
     of some kind
and I don't know whatall...

And then

BE finished it up with melted
     butter...and garlic and 
a shot of Worcestershire--
     Run-of-the-Mill Trail Mix,
customized

Can you guess what then happened?

Costco had a truck load sale
    about that time...of big bags
of: more trail mix, and someone
     gifted us a very large bag.

So alas...what to do?
     We were already stuffed with a 
season's quota of the stuff,
     and weren't out "burning it
up" on happy trails...

...but one Janaury day my wife tackled 
       the prob head on and 
tossed that huge bag of trail mix 
      into the freezer 

That was ten moths ago. There it
      languished.

Now then I walked into our
     kitchen last week, into
a room of marvelous odors,
    with butter sticks lying there
along with garlic pods, and a tsp
    of cominos lying there...

There were flat pans of mix
     lying all around, with whole
pecans, cashews, and various
     nuts having been sprinkled
on top...

The oven was going and several
     pans baking and the aroma
was...splendid.

My talented wife of sixty-one
    years proudly announced
"I dug out trail mix out of the
      freezer and I'm baking
it for Halloween!"

I suddenly stifled an urge
     to test that mix out
on the West Mesa, and
     almost got my hiking boots
out of the attic...

But for a week now I have been
      ensconced in my leather
Lazy Boy, wearing my hiking knife
     on my belt,..

... just chilling out, watching Andy,
Kangaroo....stuffing on trail mix,
    and reading Faulkner.
****************
BY MIL
20 OCTOBER 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment