Sunday, February 19, 2017

POLITICS AT THE COTTON GIN...1925



In the first grade (in 1939)
   at old La Casita school
every noonday...
     
     there was a GANG
of little boys, running 
   around and around the 
playground as if to trample
   the whole world

and anything else that 
       got in front 
  of their galloping way...

They made "TADA- LUNT..
   TADA...LUNT" sounds
as if on horseback...

They had a LEADER....his
    nickname was "HOOKY"
He ran in front...five paces
    ahead

As I grew into a little person
   on this earth, I was 
learning an important human
    principle...early on...

and not necessarily a
    happy or attractive one

On this journey of life 
    we will meet people
whose main purpose in life---
      whose supreme plan,
 motive, reason-for-living and
      being, is to 

  "BE IN CHARGE..."
   
       And to achieve
  personal greatness, fame, 
   power, position, office,
tile, and maybe above all---
    RECOGNITION... read it:
          IMPORTANCE !

It is obvious everywhere
    in life--- (ad nauseum)
 all walks---look around---
     "CHIEFS" are abundant

It seemed to be inescapable
   and there was more
often than not a  TRAIT
     nearly all lacked---
"HUMILITY."

Many times I saw this
    and pondered it,
and rather disdained it
    and just a little of this 
stuff
     "went a long long way 
with me."

And I wondered, why does
    this political trait 
humans all seem to have---
    IRK me?

Is it in my genes? 
    Did I inherit it
somehow from a forbear?

Then...

One day, going through some
     songs and poems
written long ago by my dear
    old grandfather,  a humble
Texas cotton-farmer, who worked
    hard his whole life
just to raise his family...and exist---

I found a poem dated 1925, written
    by him:

"POLITICS AT THE COTTON GIN."

***************
MIL
19 FEB 2017












No comments:

Post a Comment