Tuesday, November 15, 2016

"THE LAST ALARM CLOCK"

THE QUIETEST PLACE IN THE WORLD,
SUNDAY MORNING AT FIVE A.M.?



A BOYS' COLLEGE  DORM

I know, because an awful alarm clock awoke me
there in my Hardin-Simmons University dorm
room---a brand new dorm on the south side of
the campus---every Sunday morning at five a.m.

Struggling to wake up, get a cold shower, dress
and head off to FBC, Ozona , a hundred-fifty
miles southwest, to lead the music in church 
services there---I looked longingly at my cozy
bed---still warm---and I thought: "I'll see you 
again after nineteen hours!"

Those were the days! After following this regimen
through the fall of '54 and the spring of '55 and
graduating in May from HSU, I said "Never again
in my life will I ever use an alarm clock!" 

I may have looked like Scarlett in GWTW, if I
raised my fist to heaven (as she did when she 
swore not to  starve.) 

But it is true, one can get along without them, and
I cannot ever remember using one since. "The Last
Alarm Clock," for me, anyway. 

There were a few times I didn't want to go. After
all, driving a hundred-fifty miles on Sunday morning 
with no breakfast was not a great plan in my
twenty-one year old sleepy mind. Not to even
mention that my great Saturday nights were...only
memories.

The first leg of that journey was ninety miles to
the SW on Highway X (Note, some guys rattle off
highway numbers "to beat sixty;" not me---I just
want to be on the right road, whatever its number.)
to San Angelo.

Luckily there was a blinking caution light fifty miles
down the road at (Greater) Bronte, and a good truck
stop cafe, usually with several truckers sitting at the
counter.

If I was running a bit ahead of schedule, I'd get out
and go in and sit a jaw a bit with those guys---after
all, I had been a wild and wooly wheat trucker at age
fifteen back in '49, and I could see their envy of me
and respect, when I told them.

Usually though I was running late and just grabbed
a danish and coffee in a paper cup and was outta
there and back on the road in three minutes, with
just a nod to my ilk.

 I always just breezed through SanAngelo. You can
 lose a lot of time going through big towns. But for
some reason I had a kind of fondness for Mertzon,
a little town 35 miles west.

(Have you ever noticed (and this is true) anytime
anyone  mentions Mertzon, they always say:
"Mertzon, do you know where it is?")

I always bought gasoline there...enough to finish
the whole trip. My trusty beloved 1948 Chevrolet
got good gas mileage and my driving speed was 
usually about sixty.

Another 30 miles west to Barnhart, and I turned
left and south another 25 miles to Ozona and 
paralleled the big arroyo that severely flooded 
everything in that area in '54 and was still a tender 
subject with the people. Sixteen people were killed
and "half the homes in town damaged."

There is a square in town with a magnificent 
Crockett County courthouse, a Crockett County
Museum, and a statue of Davy Crockett.

Crockett County is one of the nation's leading
producers of wool and mohair. Hunters flock
to the area in season for deer, javelina, and 
game birds. The 2010 census  listed Ozona's 
population at 3,225.

I tried to arrive by 9:30 a.m. and get everything 
checked out...music ready  and choir warmed-up
...and find a cup of coffee in the church kitchen. 

After church it was always the happy time of going
to a member's home for fried chicken or a good
pot roast, a nap in their spare bedroom,
or on a church pew.

Then it was a burger at the little cafe on the highway,
heading west out of town...choir practice...evening
service... youth fellowship and by nine p.m. I was
headed north for Barnhart.

When I hit San Angelo around ten-thirty I always
bought a 32 ounce coke, or whatever, so there'd
be  enough ice to eat and keep me awake that last
ninety miles back to HSU.

Arriving back at the school, all the boys who had
churches congregated in Ken's room and had 
laughs, told stories, and blew off steam...a hard 
day over...

They paid $50.00 a week, which was pretty good 
pay for the time, a lot of cash for a college boy!

Several of us always met down at Mack Eplen's 
Cafeteria for a nice lunch on Mondays at noon.

In those happy times one could get chicken fried
steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans,
friend okra, a slice of corn bread, and pecan pie
for about $1.90. That's what we did. Almost ev'ry
Monday!

But I must level with you...one of my worst memories
of life...is having that alarm clock go off in my ear
every Sunday morning...signaling nineteen hours
of hard work. I was only human...

So no more alarm clocks ever for me, if I can 
help it...yes...The Last Alarm Clock.

(I loved the people, was glad to sing the
gospel, and was grateful for a job.)
***********
BY MIL
HSU '55
11-6-16











No comments:

Post a Comment