Friday, September 19, 2014

SNOOK FISHING IN THE EVERGLADES: BEST OF ALL



BY "BIG DOG" and "COACH"

FOR SHEER BEAUTY--- HEAD FOR FLORIDA
**************************************************

For Snook fishing, my opinion is that the best
place to go is the Everglades, just south of
Naples!

We do most of our fishing in what is called "the
"inside" or "backwaters." You can also fish the 
outside, which is along the Gulf, lined with small
islands and mangrove cover. We go out there some
but lately I have mostly fished the backwaters
because of the creeks and just the sheer beauty  
of the place.

You really get back to old Florida down there, and 
it gives you a greater appreciation for the
the Seminoles and others who lived and survived in
the area.

When I am there and I look around at all that is 
around me, I always go back in time in my thoughts, 
and just sit in amazement at how unbelievably strong-
willed the people must have been to live in those
surroundings. I can't even fathom the hardships of day-
to-day living as they sought to provide for themselves
and their children. It makes me appreciate everything
I have been fortunate to have in my life.

The Everglades is just a great place to "get away from
it all!" For me, I don't even have to catch a fish to enjoy
the trip. Some of the guys I have taken there over the
years question me on that, until they have been there,
and then they all say: "Don, you are right---you don't 
really have to catch a fish to enjoy the trip."

Now, don't get me wrong, there is not much that can
compare with getting one of those wild things in the
end of a rod! Made me give up bass fishing a long time
ago. Plus there are many other kinds of fish you may 
hook, including tarpon. You never know what you may
hook!

Again, I just can't explain the feeling I get, just being there
and absorbing the whole mood of the place as I fish.
You can relate, maybe, if you were telling me of your
favorite get-away-place. 

It just gives me a feeling of great pleasure...and I respect
the place so much. My esteemed friend of many years,
and high school mentor, coach Ned, knows.....I only wish
I had known years ago of his great fondness for fishing
the Everglades because I sure would have enjoyed a trip
with him!  "JUST SAY'N.".  -----"BIG DOG"
************************
COACH NED SAYS:

Great comments and your words certainly describe the
environment of the "ten thousand islands," as you are at
total peace when down there and have a total appreciation
for what God has provided mankind.

Yes, Snook are difficult to find and then when you
hook one: "Good luck in boating him!" I am a fish eater and
snook are my favorite fish to fry up, but I have been "skunked"
more than once---and gone home empty-handed, but not
empty-hearted, for each trip stays in your memory 'til next time,
and even forever.

Don is right--it is a miracle how the early Indians survived.
Don could write paragraphs about his experiences fishing in 
the Everglades. How many times were you lost? How many 
times were you thrown out of the boat? How many times were
you caught in storms and couldn't get back to camp before
dark...then ran aground?

Don and I could sit and talk about our outings and never quit
laughing.

I have taken Gator coaches with me for the experience and
listened to many calls from them on how they later went down 
there in their own boats and got lost or ran aground.
**************************
"BIG DOG" IS READY TO GO FISHIN' !!!

Boys, I have had the fishing bug for some time now! As a 
matter-of-fact, next month Snook Season opens in the
Everglades....and six of us guys are headed to Chokoloskee
for four days of trying to chase down the ever-elusive fish we
call "The Robolo Ripper."

Sure is fun getting one on the end of a 7 foot fiberglass rod
with some light tackle. 

Don't even have to catch one, for the surroundings are just
breathtaking and adventures in the backwaters inspire the
soul. Can't wait to get there and relive 40 years of tradition
in trekking there to catch that crazy fish. 

My ole buddy "Steamboat" took me down there on my first 
trip in 1974 and I have been going back at least three times 
a year since. 

It's not as easy to catch and keep Snook as it used to be.
They've had two bad winters that killed hundreds of thou-
sands of Snooks and the Feds have begun regulating them
so much more, relating to size limits.

There used to be a 24 inch minimum length but now they
have what is called a "slot." The Snook must be in the 
26--33 inch slot. Anything over of under that must be
released.

Also, the season now is a total of only five months...spread
over the year at intervals, Guess it just makes it more 
interesting if you catch one in the slot...and the season is 
open, you can just fry and eat him right there! Now that's
WORTH THE WAIT!       "JUST SAY'N".  ...."BIG DOG"

******30*****
FOR MIL'S

By Don Phillips and Coach Ned Biddix
09/19/14




No comments:

Post a Comment