Saturday, July 12, 2014

IT'S A STILL, WINDY DAY



It's a sunny, quiet, still--windy day,
    (as I sit here at my writing desk  
pondering, musing, and meditating)
    and looking out the window 
at the warm sunshine!

I've discovered an oxymoron, I think,
    as I watch my bush weave 
in the wind...yes, it is windy outside, 
    but somehow "still"---on this day.

The fresh air is blowing in, thru the window;
    You can smell the peacefulness
in the air, reminding me of other days,
    other times, other summers...

long ago....O the stillnesses we can recall
    in our lives...

We were kids, on Reid Street, in the forties---
    Hot summer afternoons---
Playing marbles.... often no wind...
    Often very hot...heat was rising...
There was barely enough lift,
     for those horseflies to hover.

And the stillness (maybe a bit of a gentle
    breeze) at Pop's Place, down in sandy
Dawson County, Texas,  on a summer's day you
    could nearly smell the air with 
farms smells that hung over the sandy drifts,
    and were almost pure.

Oh, the peacefulness of a farm pond or one in
    the woods! Or a creek---on a quiet afternoon!
The trout are asleep in the cool depths, along
    with the catfish...a young lad is also asleep
on the bank, with his cane pole lying by his
    side, along with his dog...
and his float is bobbing idly in the water.
    A few flies of one kind or another, are
cruising the pond surface...and droning.

There is noise everywhere:

I have heard car radios blaring unspeakably
    loud(ly).
I have seen (bits) of cacophonous concerts
   on TV where the youth scream and raise
their hands and jump around...

Sometimes I fear that this music will become---
      the music of the church.

Yet, at my age, I prefer stillness. peace...
    My heart craves a tuning...each day...
I believe Psalm 46:10
    "Be still, and know that I am God."

Yes, sitting here on this still, windy day,
    with  the gentle breezes coming in
Looking out the window...and thinking
    long thoughts of times past, of many
other summer days...remembering 
    some old friends...

and thanking the Creator....
    for it all.

********30******
BY MIL
6-11-14





Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment