Monday, January 20, 2014

AH...WHY DIDN'T THEY TELL ME?





These past months I've been reading
    POETS...
Robert Hass, Mary Oliver, T.S. Eliot,
    Marianne Moore, Emily Dickenson,
Robert Burns, William Wordsworth,
    John Donne, William Blake, and
taking a course in Shakespeare!

Have I understood all I've read?
    No, not all...
But that's not the point, is it?

I must tell you…
    There are some poets
that I simply cannot fathom.

Had a whole course in
     Robert Browning once-
In college.  He himself
     once confessed--
"When I wrote it, only God and I
     knew what it meant….
Now only God knows."

Do we understand everything
    there is to know---that is 
somewhere hidden in a great
    painting?

Do we understand all the chords
    and skill involved in the
great symphonies?

Maybe poetry is more important
    than we've ever thought.

It is for smoothing out the wrinkles
    in one's mind.
So that tomorrow...the thinking field
    is level...
Then we can think better, work better,
    write better...do everything better.

Poems will do it. Not only do they
    pluck heart-strings long silent...
oft-times...
    But because we are dealing with
unused, unthought of, unheard of
    word patterns...

as well as unthought-of thoughts..
    I say: poems will smooth
the wrinkles from our minds.

AH! Why didn't they tell me?!

Sooner.

********30*******
BY MIL
01/17/14



No comments:

Post a Comment