Monday, April 8, 2013

"I WANT ONE OF THOSE"


***********************************************************************
DID THAT VOICE AND THOSE WORDS COME OUT OF ME?
***********************************************************************

 ***********************************************************************
MIL'S PLACE: SECOND ANNIVERSARY, 3/31/13----207 POSTS
  **********************************************************************

it was Christmas Eve, 2010, and the family was seated in a big circle around the den, a good fire was going in the fireplace, and we were opening packages---you know---doing the one-package-at-a-time thing. My daughter-in-law had just opened an interesting box....containing an iPad!

Why, I'd never even heard of an...iPad...that I could remember. They were putting it in a nice-looking tan leather case, and passing it around for all the computer gurus in the room to handle and admire.

When it got to me, I looked at it---like a calf looking at a new gate---and out of courtesy (you see, I hated computers---in career number two---I had an early one and we didn't get along) I sort of hefted it and said to my son---"Er, what I'd like to do...for example---is see if Cabella's--- has any  blah-blahs."  He took that thing, and touch, touch, touch ---Voila---there were my blah-blahs. Right there on rhe screen, with ordering info and all.

Maybe it was intended that I should have an iPad...I don't know. I can vaguely remember a voice saying: "I want one of those!" (Mil---a computer? Did that voice come out of me?)

That was how I got "HENRY," my iPAD. I've never made a more worthwhile investment. The next day, December 26, 2011, my son and my wife braved the crowds down at the Apple Store, and by noon, here they came into the house with "Henry." My leather case, which holds Henry, and which I treasure, is black.

Why didn't someone tell me: you can find out anything in the world with a computer (if you can operate it!)

On March 31, 2011, my editor/wife and I put the first post, "The Tree Of Freedom" on the new "MIL'S PLACE." I had done a lot of writing in various capacities in my careers, and my wonderful wife said one day: "You need to be writing. I'll edit it and post it for you." (A more beautiful, helpful, and better wife, no man ever had.)

So Henry and I began work. Sometimes we've been serious...now and then we get a bit funny. Hymns and church music were my first career, and I've tried to include plenty of those, with good listening music at the bottom. Two of the best choirs that have ever existed in the USA, are The Robert Shaw Chorale and The Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I like Southern Gospel and Bluegrass, among other kinds, and have written about these.

I like US history and have a big library of books from all the wars. I didn't read any book on the Viet Nam war until 1988, when a book came into my hands titled---"And A Hard Rain Fell." Since then I have read many dozen books about that war..and have mentioned it on MIL'S.

I took a course from the Great Courses titled "BUILDING GREATER SENTENCES," taught by Dr. Brooks Landon,  absolutely one of the most valuable courses ever. He has an  interesting chapter in his textbook on the subject of "rhythm in prose."

From that and other courses, I've tried my hand at "prose poetry." If one is inspired, it'll come spilling out onto the page. Some of my own personal favorite writings have been prose poems: "POP," "AUTUMN," "THE END OF SUMMER," "LAWNMOWER," "OUR WINDMILL AT THE OLD HOME PLACE IS GONE," "I LOVE OLD PICKUP TRUCKS," "WHAT DO YOU LOVE?" "MY STUFF IN THE ATTIC," and "MORE TALES FROM THE ATTIC,"

We're coming up on the two-year anniversary of MIL'S PLACE, and looks like there are going to be around 206 or so posts accomplished in the first two years. You don't see all the things I write. The stories are written long-hand on white 5X7 Staple's recycled legal pads. If  all my stories were in one stack, the unfinished ones would likely be  a foot and half tall.

There are some subjects I have made voluminous notes on (as they say), such as Barns, Stephen Foster, Sand, Deserts, Wind, Alleys, Trees, Doors, Contrasts, and Fried Chicken. These are jelling---some have more than thirty pages of notes. One day---one of them will fly.  Writing needs to be good!

I want to include the "BOOKSHELF" more often. You will remember that I mentioned two of our finest American writers in an earlier post---both still living and writing---Robert Caro and David Mc Cullough. Also there have been several "POETRY" posts.

The honor of the TWO HUNDREDTH post on MIL'S PLACE goes to Bobby Joe Snipes. This is altogether fitting since he is one of the first guest writers,  he has been a big encourager to this writer, he has introduced me to a number of really neat people from the CHS class of '53, and not the least, Bob has been a good friend for seventy-three years!

I want to try to mention all the guest writers, even those who had brief comments. Everyone enjoys Richard Drake, who often includes some clever humor in his stories. We'd be poorer without Robert Stebbin's well-done story about the marine recruits. Wylie Daugherty gave us his much-loved story about his mother, their ranch and barns on "The Frio," and his brother and our classmate Noel Daugherty's poem that we'll never forget.

Thanks also to Dr. Albin Covington, Art Snipes, Sue Hale,  John and Elizabeth Sieren, Judy Hughes, and Lisa J. for stories and comments. Ned Biddix (noted Florida coach)--- is a big MIL'S PLACE supporter. Remember him--the fifth grade athlete from La Casita, and "THE  LITTLE WHITE CHURCH ON THE CORNER."

Thanks especially to my dear high school friend, Levi Brake, for his helpful comments and encouragement! He's been there, from day one, ever-faithful.! And much appreciated!
      
Thanks goes to Dr. Gene Walker for taking time to send important background information on "Clovis." Also greatly appreciated has been musician and scholar, Harold VanWinkle; always reading every post and here for suggestions and encouragement!

Little rewards come in re MIL'S. Sometimes they come from Germany...or the Phillippines...or somewhere. Sometimes, they join as a "follower." I wish they'd make it easier for readers to join. Sometimes it'll be one word: "Terrific." Often, it'll surprise you, they'll say something like "I teared up" or "I wept." It's just nice to know that my writers and I wrote something that touched someone's life...a little bit.

Remember my post on how much trouble I have with my name: "NO, NO, NO, IT'S NOT WILBUR!" Got one from Germany saying, "Liked your story, but what the heck IS your name?"

Yesterday, one came that I really appreciated. I wrote the story about May 21, 2012  "CLOVIS: THE MAGIC STEAM LAUNDRY, 1938," and hadn't thought of it for awhile (though I had planned a part two.) A short email came from ANONYMOUS, saying merely: the above post title and: "Beautiful...enlightening." It made me want to write another year of MIL'S!

They say that "posts" should be the beginnings of conversations; I hope you'll continue sending in your thoughts!


*******30*******
BY MIL
3/24/13






Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment