Monday, February 4, 2013

"THE STRIPE DOWN A SKUNK'S BACK"


********************************************
AND OTHER READER RESPONSES
********************************************
From BOB SNIPES---- (On the "REYNOLDS ROCKET" story)  I won one of those rocket ball pens from KICA! They had a program that the panel had to guess a certain object or thing or something. I don't remember the name of the show. Listeners would send in different subjects and if you stumped the panel, you got the pen. I sent in "the stripe down a skunk's back." I stumped them----I got the pen!

***************************
From JUDY HUGHES---- (On "I AM A POOR WAYFARING STRANGER") Thank you. I love the lyrics of this old spiritual. Such a powerful message.

***************************
From WYLIE D. ---- (On "THE WINDMILL AT THE 'OLD HOME PLACE' IS GONE") Amen, Mil. I always loved our windmills. No sweeter water in the world than the old cypress tank sitting on top of our well house---pumped water to the two houses for many years. Sweet memories.

****************************
From LISA J.---- (On "I AM A POOR WAYFARING STRANGER") I just got done from catching up on posts, and I really enjoyed them all, especially Wayfaring Stranger! That has always been one of the most haunting and poignant spirituals in my estimation and I enjoyed your quotes from various sources on the theme. Your clips by Burl Ives and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir were top-notch.

*****************************
From LEVI B.---- (On "I LOVE OLD PICKUP TRUCKS") I've had a pickup my whole life since I first got one that day in 1959---a tough little Studebaker. I couldn't ever see being without one!

*****************************
From ROBERT S..----(On Drake's "1953 STATE BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS") The recap of the 1953 Championship was great!  Richard should have been a coach or sports broadcaster---with the knowledge he has about basketball tactics!

*****************************
From WYLIE D.----(On MIL'S PLACE, and RICHARD DRAKE'S stories) Outstanding Mil! I especially enjoyed Richard's two stories and his memories of the '63 State Champs! Yes, the whole class was proud. We just didn't know the fine points he relates so well.

Last Sunday, the wife and I were eating in a restaurant near our home, and as I was paying the check, a tall man walked up and said, "Did you pay my check?" I said, "No, but I will if you'll give it to me!"

It was one of our great '53 State Champs---my old classmate---P.W.

******************************
   From L.J.---- (On "THE WINDMILL AT THE 'OLD HOME PLACE" IS GONE"  and the "CLOVIS QUINTET" of stories...) We  have found your poetry extremely well-written. We both enjoy being "carried back to early Clovis days and visions." That period of our lives would be enjoyed by anyone, if we could make it live again.

   *******************************

 From ROBERT STEBBINS----(On THE "BIG IRON BEAST" OF WARBIRDS, and related WWII memories...) I remember getting into the movies for free in the early 1940's if you just brought an aluminum pan to the theater to contribute to the war drive. 

 My dad and his cousin owned the Snow White Bakery in the 300 block of West Seventh. Because of gasoline and automobile tire rationing, they abandoned the automobile for deliveries. They constructed a wooden box, mounted on automobile axles and tires, and  in this they delivered their bread, donuts, etc. A horse was hitched up in front and provided the locomotion. This slow transport was easier on the tire wear, nut it took a lot longer tomake deliveries.

This didn't last long as my dad joined the army in April, 1942, and his cousin/partner joined the navy shortly thereafter. So, I lost out on a lot of jelly-filled rolls and donuts! Oh well, everyone sacrificed.

    ***************************
    From MIL-----(On THE  CLOVIS MAIN STREET AND HOTEL stories, five of them.)  They have been read far and wide, by a lot of old Clovisites, as well as others. There were  46 hits in one day alone. I want to thank those CHS '51 and '53 "kids" who wrote, long or short, for these stories: Albin Covington, John Sieren, Wylie Dougherty, Robert Stebbins,  Art Snipes and Richard Drake.


    They say---a "blog" should be the beginning of a conversation. One CHS '53 reader tells me that "dragging main" is on the wane, and being supplanted by parking somewhere and texting, tweeting, twittering....or whatever it is that they do.



     The editor's favorite this month was "THE WINDMILL AT THE 'OLD HOME PLACE' IS GONE." Hugs and thanks to the editor---it was a busy month with a lot of photos.

      

      *******30******
     BY MIL
     2/04/13

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment