Friday, January 18, 2013

WHAT DO YOU LOVE?



*************************************************************
IN THIS GREAT, WIDE, FASCINATING, MIRACULOUS WORLD?
*************************************************************

I love little baby chicks,
Ponies that do tricks,
And wind.

I love old wide front porches,
Shady small-town streets,
And rocking chairs.




I love, old wheat-hauling trucks,
Golden wavy wheat,
And barns.

I love floating fishing bobblers,
Buttery berry cobblers,
(Like my mother made...)
And whipped cream.

I love leaves when they turn,
Cool October nights,
And quilts.

I love New Mexico places,
The wide open spaces
And the bright blue skies.

I love hymns sung in church,
Sermons when they're short,
And sermons when they're over!

I love red-checked table cloths,
Black-eyed peas and cornbread,
And fried okra.

I love old leather books,
Cute lady cooks,
And iced tea!

I love crocuses in spring,
Little birds that sing,
And gardens.

I love old country stores,
On old country lanes,
With old-timey wood stoves,
Old timers playing checkers,
Sardines, cheese, crackers, and onions,
And big orange drinks.

I love old fishing lures,
Bacon that's well-cured.
And wind.

I love old poetry books,
Cozy reading nooks,
And Longfellow.

I love roosters when they crow,
Trains when they whistle,
And old pickup trucks!



I love poems when they rhyme,
Stories about old times,
And memories.
I love playful puppy dogs,
Little jumping frogs,
And porch swings.

I love starry summer evenings,
Sitting on the lawn,
And mumblety-peg.

I love women when they smile,
Women with no guile,
And my wife.

I love people who are kind,
Have others in their minds,
And have no agenda.

I love old clanging windmills,
Cold gushing water,
And shade trees.   

I love hamburgers any time,
Coney Islands are just fine,
And onion rings.

I love bagatini bread,
Ciabatta just as much,
And cheesy Danishes.

I love Fritos and corn chips,
Any kind of dips,
But be sure there's queso!

I love women when they're classy,
Women who aren't sassy,
And my wife!

I love old movies;
I loved "The Grapes of Wrath,"
Their westward path,
And Rosasharn.

I loved Holden in "River Kwai,"
"With or without a parachute?"
And the medic at the end:
"Madness, madness! It's all madness!"

I loved Don Knotts in "Shakiest Gun..."
And Arnold the Kid---
"A seven shootah?"


I loved Saturdays at the Lyceum,
Two movies and a serial, ten cents,
And popcorn five cents.

I loved "The Searchers,"
Ken Curtis singing "Skip To My Lou,"
And beautiful Vera Miles!

I love cheese enchiladas,
Homemade tamales,
And green chili!


I love old mesquite pastures
Plenty of quail running around,
And a can of pork and beans.

I loved Barry Hardware,
Any old hardware store,
With old churns and Dutch ovens,
And pocket knives.


I love "dinner on the ground,"
Fried chicken where it's found,
And deviled eggs.

I love old seasoned leather,
Old varnished wood,
And Walking Liberty half dollars.

I love old farmhouses,
Old adobe houses,
And old cottonwood trees!

I love trickling mountain streams,
Log cabins with smoking chimneys,
And the sound of wind...
In the pines.

I love cold winter nights,
By flick'ring fireplace lights,
And popcorn.

I love Stephen Foster's songs,
The summers he portrays,
And "Thou will come no more...
Gentle Annie..."

I loved Jeannie's "light brown hair,"
"My Old Kentucky Home,"
And "O Susanna!"

I love this beautiful world,
And like Tom T. Hall,
I love life...and did I mention...
Coffee!?







(Mil, is there anything you don't like? YES. Speeches and "The Wizard Of Oz!")

********30********
BY MIL
1/13/13



Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment