Tuesday, August 21, 2012

MEMORIES OF LA CASITA SCHOOL AND FRIENDS



*************************
BY SUE B. HALE
*************************

(Mil's note:  I am always excited when former classmates share their memories with me and I am pleased to pass them on to my readers.  Here are some thoughts from Sue Hale. Enjoy!)

Mary Lou Powell lived in the 800 Block of Hinkle and Joe Bert Trimble lived near her. They often walked by my house at 722 Calhoun and I joined them for the short walk to La Casita.

Audrey Jean Cole, who shortened her name to "Jeanie" in high school, lived in the 800 block of Thornton on the east side of the street. Mary Lou Powell moved to Lubbock. Audrey Jean and I rode the Greyhound bus to Lubbock when Mary Lou was terminally ill at her home. We were about 13 at that time.

I well remember Arthur J. Snipes, who was my first boyfriend in Miss Tennyson's first grade.

Miss Bledsoe, my third grade teacher, became ill from (we were told) drinking non- pasteurized milk. Of course, I think we all had non- pasteurized milk in the 1930's and 40's. She had to miss a long period, six weeks or possibly three months of the school year, and we had a substitute teacher. My mother especially wished her a speedy recovery because she knew Miss Bledsoe to be an outstanding teacher; she had taught my brother Frank, a couple of years before.

Rita Gayle Delaney came to La Casita when we were in the fourth grade. In later adult conversations, she often commented on her memories from the fifth grade, of our "Winding of the Maypole" to celebrate the First of May.

Mrs. Ballow was the excellent teacher whom I had in the fifth grade, after which, she was transferred to the sixth grade as our teacher---so I had her for two years!

In the fifth grade, we had a music teacher, Miss McFarland, a couple of times a week. I think it was Miss McFarland's first year of teaching and she was beautiful young blond. Her older sister, also Miss McFarland, but with red hair, was my Spanish teacher in junior high.

The music teacher decided to put on an operetta in the auditorium--- an evening performance with parents attending.  For Cinderella she cast a beautiful Hispanic girl with a beautiful voice. As Cinderella, she wore a gorgeous long white satin gown.

I was cast as one of Cinderella's ugly sisters. My mother made my costume, a long dress with peplums on the side, from a Butterick pattern suggested by Miss McFarland. I thought it was beautiful. The big question is: why did the music teacher suggest me for a solo role? I had no voice then or now! I was so hopeless that after many rehearsals, the teacher selected someone to sing with me, making it a duet, so I was saved!

During the war years, a famous Hollywood actress, Priscilla Lane, lived on Thornton Street with her Air Force husband. Priscilla Lane starred in "Saboteur," a Hitchcock film, and "Arsenic and Old Lace" with Cary Grant. A few of us kids got up the nerve to knock on her door to ask for her autograph. Her husband answered the door and said: "wait a minute." She never came to the door.
*******************************************************
(MIL'S NOTE: A "thank you" to Sue, who was one of the "original members" of the Clovis High School Class of '51, having started at La Casita in the first grade in 1939.)
*******************************************************




*********30*********
BY SUE HALE and MIL
8/18/12
Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment