Monday, January 2, 2012

"WE DON'T DO THAT KIND OF STUFF!"

Here is a fun story for you. Stay with me...

Now my wife is not only very attractive, but is very intelligent. We love words, ideas, concepts,
information, books, computers (now that I have Henry, my I Pad), and The Great Courses, taught by leading U.S. university PHDs.

Along with this, we also have a great deal of fun-- jokes, words, puns, old funny TV shows, etc. Fun is very important to health and happiness.

Thus one day a number of years ago, I being a writer (please don't LOL), got to studying the variety of different words one could substitute for "walked" in the sentence: "She walked into the room." This substituting, of course, holds true with any verb.  So we came up with this list for "she WALKED..."
strode, sauntered, traipsed, moseyed, flounced, sashayed, edged, tip-toed, swished, swirled,
pranced, strutted, stalked, swaggered, pussy-footed, swept, crashed, bound, danced, sidled, crept, and slid....

Now here's where the real fun began. While reading the list over, I said: "Why don't I read the list of words one at a time and you enter the room and demonstrate each word as I call it out?" Reluctantly, but since no one else was around (and I suspect it was a challenge to her thespian proclivities), she agreed. So I called each word out, and she entered the room very cleverly and expertly capturing the nuance of each word-- no mean feat-- but before we finished the list, we were both on the floor laughing--literally. Try it and you'll see!

It gets funnier yet. I had an esteemed high school friend down in Texas, with whom I kept in regular contact. This couple was perhaps a little more suave and dignified than we, but nonetheless I sent him the word list and told him to do "what we done."

In a day or two I received an E mail back from him, and not an unkind one, but one merely
stating their position: "We don't do that kind of stuff.".




By Mil, 1-02-12
Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment