Thursday, October 13, 2011

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE SOME "DEFILED" EGGS?


I suppose "deviled eggs" have been around the South since time immemorial. Some folks even
think they were the "manna" mentioned in the Old Testament. This writer has been eating them since boyhood, and not only that but has also learned to make them--man style-- with mayo, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper, etc. 

The trick, of course, to getting them "off the ground," is to get the darn eggs to peel properly. Accordingly I soak them in cold water and start peeling at the small end of the egg.

Now our Northern friends have a different name; they call them "stuffed" eggs. (What would you expect from folks who put oysters in crumbled-up biscuit crumbs and call it "Thanksgiving dressing;" where's the cornbread?? Just kidding, friends.)

Anyway, back to the deviled eggs.... I was writing a friend on Henry, my beloved little I Pad; (he is a great little guy, but thinks he can spell better than I.) In my note I was relating the old joke about the Methodist lady, attending as a guest, the Baptist Fourth of July picnic held at the City Park. Everyone was having a gloriously good time, noisy, happy, and exciting; the Methodist lady, referring to the Baptist schedule of wonderful meetings, said: "I always wanted to be a Baptist but I just wasn't physically able."

My story build-up included a description of the food at the picnic: mounds of country fried chicken, creamy mashed potatoes, red beans with ham hock, corn bread, fried okra, sliced cantaloupe, sliced tomatoes, and...DEVILED EGGS!   But Henry, my egotistical and over-eager little I Pad changed my spelling, and it came out:........................"DEFILED EGGS."

Now, most families have an unwritten list of sayings, private jokes, and quotes that they have accumulated over the years. We have added a new one at our house, courtesy little Henry:  "Please pass the Defiled Eggs."

By Mil

(Note: Some adjustments have been made to Mil's Place. It should be easier now for readers
to comment.)

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment