Sunday, August 21, 2011

DO YOU LIKE SOLANTUM LYPERSICUM ON YOUR HAMBURGER?

This post is a continuation of an earlier one titled briefly "NO STEER MANURE." Thank you readers; there were quite a few interested comments on that one! You Latin purists, please adjust the above to please yourself. This is being written at this season because you are craving some wonderful vine-ripened tomatoes but failed to plant. For Shame!!! Time now to plan for next spring. I hope you will think of this as "A Humorous Foray Into the world of Tomato Growing."

The tomato probably originated in Peru or nearby, somewhere in South America...many centuries ago. It was spread around the world following the Spanish colonization of "the New World." Columbus probably was the first to take them to Spain, about 1493. Early tomatoes were likely a small yellow fruit taken to Mexico by the Spanish, then to SW area of today's USA, then to Phillippines, and from there they spread to SW Asia, and then all over Asia. A study of how they were genetically developed into SO MANY varieties is beyond the scope of this post.

Tomatoes were not grown in England until the 1590's. Strangely "Gerard's Herbal," 1597, took the position that the fruit was poisonous, thus delaying acceptance. This writer can believe only that once the English had eaten tomatoes on their hamburgers, they were willing to chance anything, including demise. We know, don't we?!! (Just kidding readers, hamburgers likely didn't exist until late 1800's or a little later. Therein lies a controversy....for another post.)

So moving on, I grow my tomatoes in EARTH BOXES, (trade name or mark). Order them in February or March, with fertilizer, one bag of that and one bag of dolomite. You will need 2-5 of these open plastic containers. They will cost about $50 each shipped, with fertilizer. (They will last for years.)

Upon receiving them, place porous lattice in bottom on plastic ledges, fill up with "store-boughten" top soil or potting soil, untreated. Note, I have used my same soil 7 years and it is working fine, though I need to tell you that you MUST order the company's fertilizer every year or you are on your own. Probably I should get new soil and change it, but being elderly, I have a case of "Motion Reluctance."

Let me parenthetically insert this; we haven't even planted yet, and there are those of you who are wondering: "But what about tomato worms, those icky green things that are so crawly?" (I have noticed that women are particularly offended by these creatures). Here is what I do: When wife and I are watering and I see bare limbs, evidence of the "creepies," I just say real loudly: "Dear, we are very soon going to be able to fry us up some tomato worm hors d' oeurves; we will have enough for a 'mess.' " The next day, no more worms. They left. Now before you say anything, there WAS such a recipe in the paper once. Really.
Back to work.

Put two tomato plants to the box, roughly size 15X30.... a little to one edge. Cut a square X on each end of your "shower cap-type" plastic weed cover, remove plant from container carefully and insert root system through square and into soil, tamping nicely. Then hook your plastic cover all around edges. Note, my X's show I wouldn't have been a good surgeon. Not to worry! Oh, oh, we've been so busy with worms and planting that I forgot to tell you to mix the dolomite with the soil---dig it in--- and lay a strip of all your fertilizer ON TOP down one side of your box. Not to dig it in, no. Now put your cover on. You can see, dear reader, that I am trying to help you avoid my mistakes.

There is a one inch tube going down into the bottom through your lattice. There is a 4 inch space under your lattice. Fill with water through this tube until it runs out a little hole in the front bottom when full. First day or two, wet the area around the roots also. I plant around May 20-25. With cool nights and spring winds, that works fine for me. In 60 days you will have all the tomatoes you want. Tips: Put wire tomato cages on by 10 days after planting; once a day will be enough watering. BUT, DON'T EVER MISS A DAY. They will wilt. Remember, though, tomatoes need a lot of sunshine. Google " tomatoes" and you will find all manner of helpful hints, though you don't need many with Earth Boxes.

Okay, what else? Five boxes suit me fine. It will cost, I know, but miss one trip to Branson.
Pardon me while I put a little salt and pepper on this tomato...SLURP! SLURP!! Bye, bye,
friends and GOOD LUCK!

--By Mil--
Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment