Tuesday, March 1, 2016

BARBERSHOPS OF THE BOYS (3)


BARBERSHOP MEMORIES FROM FOUR CLOVIS BOYS

Vernoy Willis, CHS '50

Well, when we moved from Ranchvale to Clovis in 1938, my dad was giving my brother and me haircuts with the old hand type squeeze handle clippers.  A dad would be put in jail today if he used those on one of his boys.  A lot of pulling but very little cutting of the hair.

My oldest memory is of Dad, my brother, and me driving to Texaco to get haircuts on Saturday mornings.  I think the tab was .25 cents each (no Jeris tonic or hand rubs)  A little Red Rose hair oil but it was free.

I think the barber shop was in the old building that later on became famous pool hall for all the under- age Clovis boys.  Shot many games of snooker in that old building.  Ten cents a game, loser paid for the new rack.

Later on I would catch a ride every morning to school with Angus Petty and Wayne.  So I was committed to their shop.The short dark hair barber in front chair (Gene) gave better cuts than Angus but I was loyal.

Later on Wayne went to barber College in Amarillo and moved across the street from his dad's old shop.

I like your red brick piece.  Wonder how many times I rode over those bricks, and did not realize how lucky I was.  Coming home from the Navy and driving up and down Main was good, but it was never the same.

Thanks for stirring up interesting stuff from the good old days. 


Vernoy
*****************************************************************************

Art Snipes, CHS '51

Well Milburn, Dad cut my hair for a long time. One day he told me,"son, I won't cut your hair any longer."  He sent me to Pettys, guess I stayed with Petty until I married Wanda. Her dad, Jim King, was a part time barber.

Later on the US Army gave me a free one.  

Art

*****************************************************************************
John Sieren, CHS '51

  I always went to the Petty barbershop.  My hair was so fine that I could never get it to stand up for a flattop.  So, what do you do  with hair that just lays there?  Comb it.  

John
******************************************************************************

Wylie Daugherty, CHS '53

The Barber Shop I recall was Jim's Barber shop, on W. Grand either in the Antlers Hotel or next door.  Jim was the lead Barber and the other was Boliver. Jim had these beautiful hat rack seats with mirror backs.  I always wished that I had whiskers, cause both my Dad and Grandad sometimes got shaves there.
My Grandpa played dominos at the Antlers and I could always find him there or across Grand at this pool hall.

Wylie
*********************************************************************************
Richard Drake, CHS '53

I remember going to Petty's.   I think it was near the Police Station.  He charged 25 cents.  He could give a great flat top which was "the"  haircut of the time.  I got my first flat top after we played a basketball game against the Military School in Roswell.  They were good looking studs, so after they had manhandled me in a game I had to get the new style.  I kept it into my thirties.

Richard
Memories--Wylie D.


No comments:

Post a Comment