Tuesday, March 1, 2016

BARBERSHOPS OF THE BOYS (2)


BARBERSHOPS OF THE BOYS

FIVE CLOVIS SHOPS COME TO MIND
by Robert Stebbins, Guest Writer, CHS '51



  1. Red's Barber Shop on West Seventh next to Bristow's Market.  I only recall one barber, Red (last name unknown).  In 1939-1940, I had to jump up on a board supported by the arms of the chair, probably cost 25 cents or less that my grandfather used to fork over.

  1. North of and adjacent to the Lyceum Theater, shop name unknown unless it was the Lyceum Barber Shop.  Can't remember barber's names or details.  Must have been concentrating on which double feature was showing, anxious for the bicycle drawing, or was smelling the aroma of fresh cooked popcorn drifting over from the theater lobby.  But, I think this is the first time I remember the barber applying Witch Hazel around my neck and ears after finishing the haircut.

  1. Silver Grill Barbershop? Uncertain of the name, but located right next to Main Street in Silver Grill Shopping area.  Can't remember barbers' names or prices, but invariably haircut was followed by a chocolate shake, burger, and fries at the Silver Grill if there was any money left over after haircut.

  1. Petty's Barber Shop just south of City Hall and next to a restaurant (name forgotten).  Angus Petty, later joined by son, Wayne, were the barbers.  Worth the price whatever the haircut cost. Used to see Mr. Skarda (the elder) there occasionally getting "the works".  After his haircut, he would leap out of the barber chair despite being warned that at his age (probably late 60's or 70's) he shouldn't be doing that. 

  1. Another Petty's Barber Shop (not sure of the name).  I was there only once to visit Wayne during a short visit to Clovis.  Wayne's dad, Angus, had died and the shop had relocated across the street east of the original shop.  I wanted to tell Wayne about having by chance met Angus' nephew on a Boeing-747 flight from Seoul, Korea to California.  That story is, I believe, entitled "It's A Small World" or something like that.  Wayne had been having some health problems and appreciated me stopping by to tell him the story.  I believe he died not too long after my visit.

......That's all I know about barber shops...Robert


FOR MIL'S PLACE 3/1/16
Robert Stebbins, CHS '51



No comments:

Post a Comment