Wednesday, April 16, 2014

WITH LOVE FROM A CHORUS




SUNG BY THE MEN OF THE 
 ROBERT SHAW CHORALE
*********************************

Wafting across the Hardin-Simmons University 
campus those cool spring nights of 1955---
from a  dozen open dorm windows, were the 
strains of Robert Shaw's new 33 LP recording---
"With Love from a Chorus."

While the Texas bluebonnets were blooming
and adding fragrance to the air all around 
Abilene, love songs from Shaw's Men's
Chorale were sweetening the air with melodies,
the likes of which had never been heard---or likely 
ever will be again---except from Shaw!

This priceless $5.95 LP was available downtown---
they couldn't keep it in stock! Many of the HSU
A Cappella Choir members bought one.

I played mine for years, all the while, trying to 
keep it pristine, but invariably it became scratched---
and popped when I played it. 

A number of years ago RCA remastered Robert
Shaw's Stephen Foster collection for CD. It being 
priceless, I jumped at it right off.

At the time, I looked for "With Love From a Chorus,"
but with no luck. It was not available. "What a shame!"
I thought---"it'll nevermore be heard in its beauty
without the pops and cracks of an old 33 LP."

I had all those song deeply engrained in my memory
and could sing them to myself but---no nice new CD
was to be forthcoming.

But wait!! Good news! The Beloved Editor, also a
"techie," fools with itunes and buys a tune now and then.
She discovered that "With Love from a Chorus" is now 
available digitally and one can download the entire 
recording from itunes for $5.95.

We downloaded it, burned it to a CD, and it is superb.  
If you have itunes on your computer, take a look!

Here are the Love Songs from one of the great male 
choruses---of all time!

JUST A SONG AT TWILIGHT
BELIEVE ME IF ALL THOSE ENDEARING
           YOUNG CHARMS
WAIT FOR THE WAGON
I WANDERED TODAY TO THE HILL, MAGGIE
LITTLE LIZA JANE
MY GRANDFATHER'S CLOCK
BONNIE ELOISE
DRINK TO ME ONLY WITH THINE EYES
AURA LEE
SEEING NELLIE HOME
JUANITA
LORENA (The "Sweetheart Song" of the Civil War)
SWEET GENEVIEVE
STARS OF THE SUMMER NIGHT
HOME, SWEET HOME
GOODNIGHT LADIES

My , oh my! This carries me back to when
"the whole world was young!"

Priceless!

I am, of course, assuming that there are still
beings in this world who appreciate…melody.

If the link below is not live, copy and paste it 
to your browser.  Works fine.

"Bonnie Eloise"
http:www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TIcI2ROoPo




BY MIL
4/16/14

No comments:

Post a Comment